Imrc Failure On Cobra

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by ParkerJ, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ParkerJ

ParkerJ New Member

Hi everyone I am new to this forum because I really need help with a code I got today from a check engine light. I have a 1998 Cobra with 36k miles that is for sale and of course as my luck has it I got a check engine light today. I am leaving for college in a week and want to get this fixed before I leave so I can put it back on the market. I have been searching forums about this problem but have not found answers to my specific situation.
    I got the code p1516 which is IMRC error (not stuck open or closed). I realize that I should feel a difference in power when reaching 3250 rpm but there is no noticeable loss of power. I have not accelerated very hard while the CEL was on but, I did not notice anything out of the ordinary power loss wise. I don't know if my IMRC is stuck open, closed, or has another problem.

I understand that some causes to this problem could be a. gummed up and dirty IMRC b. broken controller/actuator? c. broken cable
    Basically I am wondering if there is a way to figure out my problem without removing the intake manifold. I would really like to avoid removing the intake manifold at all costs and I am trying to diagnose my problem from the outside. I have read I can try and feel around for loose cables? but I do not know where or what to look for. Basically I am looking for tips on diagnosing/fixing this problem taking into consideration the circumstances and side effects I am feeling. I would also like to spend as little money as possible on this.

Car has BBK CAI if that helps.

Thanks you soooo much in advance!
  2. Nightfire

Nightfire Mustang Master

You would probably get some more help in the SVT section.

Sponsored Ad

3. ParkerJ

ParkerJ New Member

Thanks, I posted there. Hopefully this thread can be deleted. Sorry for the mistake