In Gear or Out - When Towing??????

ARMAGEDON

Apr 2, 2005
Pardon if I have posted in the wrong forum. I firgured this forum would have the most "Racers" in it.

I have an '89 vert. (Automatic) that I will be hauling in an enclosed trailer a 1000 miles to Ohio.

My question is: ..........Should I keep it In Park or In Neutral ??? when hauling in the enclosed trailer ???

I am wandering if it will mess up any syncros or something in the trans. if left in park.

I will have it strapped down.

Thanks for the input.

• Sponsors (?)

In park with the ebrake on if you have one when towing in a trailer and as you said strap it down.

If you are towing the car with like a tow dolly or something make sure that you tow with the rear tires off the ground with an auto. If you tow with the rear tires on the ground you will be turning stuff in the trans but not getting any lubrication. With a 5 speed it doens't matter.

RYC CUKR said:
With a 5 speed it doens't matter.

Actually it's the same rule with 5-spds. When you turn the trans with the rear wheels in nuetral, only the top shaft spins and the countergear down in the fluid doesn't. The fluid doesn'tr get splashed around and you can actually starve the bearings between the main and input shaft due to lack of lubrication. I've heard of several people doing this while towing

Mustang5L5 said:
Actually it's the same rule with 5-spds. When you turn the trans with the rear wheels in nuetral, only the top shaft spins and the countergear down in the fluid doesn't. The fluid doesn'tr get splashed around and you can actually starve the bearings between the main and input shaft due to lack of lubrication. I've heard of several people doing this while towing

+1 I've also heard this. Though its a pain in the ass backing the car up on a dolley. :nonono: