in need of an explanantion

bart

May 16, 2003
tn
me and some of my friends have been discussing this for the last few days. nobody can really tell us a good answer, so im gonna see if any of you guys can shed some light.

weve noticed alot of vehicles putting the air filter in the fender, a/m mustang, all chevy f/s come factory like it, quite a few imports have em in the fender.

whats the purpose of this?

• Sponsors (?)

ok, ive never understood why the fender, why not out to the front of the core support. i just wouldnt think that there would be alot of air passing through the fender, that would be cleaner than the engine bay.
i can understand cooler, as its not gettin air from the engine bay. i dunno, it was a stupid question anyways

im not so sure if there is any unclean air in the engine bay to begin with. BUt the fender type air filter is used on almost all stock cars also. If you look at a stock airbox then you notice its in the engine bay right? however there is a small tube running usually out of the bottom of the air box into the fenderwall or to the bottom of the engine bay, in or der to catch some cooler air because the colder the iar the more hp.
On your question about the point of having it in the fender, i dont know either to be honest?

well, if you put it too low, can you imagine how often youd be cleaning or replacing the filter? Up inthe fender is pretty clean, where no road debris can disrupt teh airflow filter.

Thats the best as i see it

bart said:
ok, ive never understood why the fender, why not out to the front of the core support. i just wouldnt think that there would be alot of air passing through the fender, that would be cleaner than the engine bay.
i can understand cooler, as its not gettin air from the engine bay. i dunno, it was a stupid question anyways

They are not going for a ram air, just to get cool air. It also keeps turbulence off the mass air meter.

I have a 2002 PSD (power stroke diesel) it pulls air from in front of the core support and then it has a steel baffel to keep direct airflow from going into the airbox. Seriously considered cutting that thing out or drilling some big holes in it.

I have the MAC fender air cleaner set up in my 95' vert. The area in my fender is pretty isolated, kinda boxed in. So it is shelterd from turbulents and debris. I cleaned it the other day for the first time since I bought it (about 8 months :doh: ) but surprisingly it was very clean. :cheers: Great product!

also just think how much extra intake tubing u would need to run it to the very front...that just makes so many extra bends and twists that u would probably end up loosing power or making just as much as the fenderwell version. notice how everything is "mandrel" bent to increase flow...plus u want teh least tuning possible. also u have to think about looks when talking about factory and aftermarket products...as much as people say looks doesnt matter (to some) they arent gonna go buy so ugly ass product, and after market think about the quickness/easiness of installation that is also a factor.

Cold air for the intake is designed by the factory because it's free power/efficiency. For every 10F decrease in intake air temperature, an internal combustion engine produces about 1/2% to 1% more HP; conversely, for every 10F increase in intake air temp, the engine loses the same amount of HP. So, everytime you see someone take the stock cold air filter box off a car and hang a big conical filter under the hood where it's picking up hot air, you can smile knowing that the change has more than likely actually reduced their HP level. For Mustangs cold air/fenderwell kits look good to some; but they don't perform any better than a good flat panel filter in the stock box with the silencer removed. If you doubt it - go to www.fordmuscle.com's website and read the test they did. Zero difference between the two. If you like the cosmetics, go for the fenderwell kits. But don't expect a power gain. Just don't put that big filter right under the hood - that will lose you power.

Ram air - where the air is forced into the intake by the car's motion through the air will help with power production once speeds are up into the 80-90 mph+ range. However, on street cars, they are notorious for picking up all sorts of debris and water as most of them have their air pickups mounted low beneath the front end. Some of the most negative feedback I've seen on products was for the March ram air system because of debris and water. Not sure how the Cervani is rated - but I'd guess it'd be better because the air pickup is in the hood. However, I doubt seriously if it's worth .3 and/or 3 mph on most cars.

I would say if you put a CAI on thinking you'd gain big HP, you probably mis-spent your money. If you put it on because you like the way it looks -- and I think the CAI's look better than the stock box -- then you got what you paid for.