In the middle of my h/c/i swap, in need of some confidence.....

Aliate X

May 9, 2005
Rockland NY
I feel like after Im done Im going to start the car up, and this is my vision, oil spraying everying out of the timing cover, coolant spraying out of the heads, the cam seizes up and ruins the heads/bottom end, and then the whole thing catches fire.....

lol.....is this normal? This is my first h/c/i swap and I just feel like I know that somethings going to go wrong, Ive been using a torque wrench and putting RTV on all the gaskets except the head gaskets etc., Just feels like somethings going to go wrong, I dont want to have to tear it all apart again =(....

Someone give me some confidence...

• Sponsors (?)

25thmustang said:
Dont worry. Its always like that the first time. Just take your time, double check things and do it right. Should have no big issues that cant be solved easily!

Well really the only problem Ive ran into so far that has me stuck is that I did not label the bolts from the timing cover so Im kinda just guessing where they go and Im hoping not to cross thread anything which I may have already done on 1......hopefully not though. Im going to torque the heads down tomorrow and then we can start assembling the valvetrain and throw the lower intake on.

confidence you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it.

Hope this helps do you know how long that took me

Roland69 said:
confidence you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it. you can do it.

Hope this helps do you know how long that took me

If you copy and pasted it should only take like 10 sec but I still <3 you.

well alright I did type 4 then C&P'd them lol but I thought I would try and make you fell like you can do it. Just double check everything and take it slow don't rush things and ask ?'s when needed. Alot of people will respect you since your doing this job on your own and will gladly help you where they can.

Roland69 said:
well alright I did type 4 then C&P'd them lol but I thought I would try and make you fell like you can do it. Just double check everything and take it slow don't rush things and ask ?'s when needed. Alot of people will respect you since your doing this job on your own and will gladly help you where they can.

Yeah after this point I can see why a lot of people end up doing just head and intake swaps and leaving the cam alone....lol. Easily takes up 90% of the time. Without the cam this is a 1 day job definitally.

no its not the oil and coolant spraying that you have to worry about its the pistons smacking everyone of those new valves in those new heads that you have to worry about. lol thats what i envisioned when i swapped to vic jr heads a couple days ago. well car runs fine so no smacked valves. If i could just get the rockers adjusted proper i would be set.

Aliate X said:
Oh definitally, I feel like the rest is a waste if you dont do the cam lol, Im just saying I can see why some people dont do the cam lol.

You dont NEED to do the cam to go fast. :nice:

The best way to do it is buy and build a seperate motor, drive the car and build the motor slow and steady on a stand. Some people have that luxury, but the others have it harder. Personally I think thats the way Im going to do it. On a stand, with all new parts and be able to enjoy the car while Im doing the motor stuff.

If you make mistakes, and **** leaks all over, don't sweat it. It seems like everything I do to my car, I have to do twice to get it right. When I swapped heads and intake, I had to do it all over again, because the drivers side head was leaking coolant before start up. Let me tell you, that sucked. But, that's how you learn.

You are doomed. You suck at everything, and it will not work out. Just slit your wrists and end the pain :eek:

:D :D

You'll get it, but just remember nothing ever goes 100%. You will run into some gremlins, its inevidable.

Heads are torqued down, was in the middle of putting the rocker studs on when i cut myself pretty bad, gotta go get a socket then back into the fray. Hoping to have the valvetrain all setup today and then start working on the upper/lower intake tomorrow and finish up the front of the motor possibly.

:nice: another vote of confidance for ya brother , I have faith in ya!

I will definately be attempting H/C/I in the future so its nice to read other people thoughts/ideas/experiences .

clean that cut out with some peroxide and cover it up , are you current on your tetanus?

(sorry I'm a Medic)

:flag:

I will get more pics tomorrow, this is from about 2 weeks back when I dissassembled.

The cut turned out to be worse than I thought, if it werent for really good deep wound repair kits, I would be at the hospital getting stiches lol. Its fine though, very clean cut and I cleaned it up nice. I have all my shots. :]

DSCF1340.jpg

The TFS kit + some other stuff

PICT0290.jpg

A random pic of the car in the garage. (came out really small b/c of detail)

PICT0296.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1340.jpg
    DSCF1340.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 66
  • PICT0290.jpg
    PICT0290.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 65
  • PICT0296.jpg
    PICT0296.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 69