In the middle of my h/c/i swap, in need of some confidence.....

• Sponsors (?)

if i had the money for a dart block thats the way id go but with a turbo setup instead. but im trying to build an entire car on 5-6k is about all im going to be able to pull off at this point in time ive probly spent about 60 hours pouring over combos that will pull me the lowest ets on the smallest budget.

Ironman92GT said:
hey poopdawg what motor was that? i cant remember which one.. lol
That was the 4th motor in my old 83 Vert. Sad part was, I put about 15 miles on those heads and cam (AFR 165s, Comp Cams XE274H) before it grenaded... I knew what the problem was, I just didn't believe it and took it for a test drive, nailed it... All I heard was a detonation sound, then booooooom!! White smoke, belt went flying... I knew what happened... and at that moment... I said to myself "time for a new car" I wasn't going to fix it... So I parted the car, and got the car I have today... Much more reliable. :) The car was extremely fun... I bent 12 of the 16 valves in the heads, and wiped out 3 cam lobes... bent two rods, broke the block in many many pieces... broke two pistons, bent 12 pushrods... it wasn't a great day... After spending about 2000 dollars on heads, and a cam and supporting hareware... I was extremely pissed lol. Good thing I got a buddy that owns a machine shop.. he did the heads for 200 bucks, and I sold them for the 100 l less then new. :)

Nick

I hear ya bud, I am rebuilding my motor from the gorund up, plus doing the carb swap.

I have faith in you, remember double check twice. It's easier to check it twice, then it is to tear it apart again

Duro

hey Aliate X, what's the deal with those Trick Flow valve covers...I mean, how hard is it to attach the oil filler neck?

I'm doing the same swap over the summer, but I was debating whether or not to use the TricKFlow vavle covers, or just get some aftermarket ones that already have the provision for the filler neck.

I'm not sure how to go about that? :shrug:

wht93gtEd said:
hey Aliate X, what's the deal with those Trick Flow valve covers...I mean, how hard is it to attach the oil filler neck?

I'm doing the same swap over the summer, but I was debating whether or not to use the TricKFlow vavle covers, or just get some aftermarket ones that already have the provision for the filler neck.

I'm not sure how to go about that? :shrug:

I dunno, Im going to deal with it soon though, Ill let you know how it turns out. Im going to see if I can bring it to a machine shop, it will only cost like 15 bucks.

I didnt use any Loctite on the cam plate, just tightened em down good and they havent gone anywhere yet. I pretty much just put everything back together the way it was when I took it all apart. The only thing you need a torque wrench for is the head bolts.

Aliate X said:
I dunno, Im going to deal with it soon though, Ill let you know how it turns out. Im going to see if I can bring it to a machine shop, it will only cost like 15 bucks.

haha i have those valvecovers on my 331. its funny as the oil drips on the header at a stoplight and smoke just leaks out of the cowl in my hood, people think my car is on fire. :shrug: