In today's age, 5.0s just aren't competitive...

• Sponsors (?)

Heck, nothing under 100k is really competitive with a Z06!

A lot of fun cars aren't competitive with today's Corvettes or whatever, but they are still fun to build -- CRX, fox body, 3rd gen fbody, LT1 fbody, 94-95 GT, 240sx, ae86 Corolla, Grand National, Syclone, turbo Dodges etc. I know a guy that just dumped $30k into a late '70s Datsun 510 -- would it outperform a C6? Probably not, but it's very cool and fun.

See that's why i guess i have this argument going, because i don't see why anyone would spend 80k on a Z06 regardless of how badass it is. If you love Mustangs then spend 80k on a Mustang and there's no reason it won't be as fast as the Vette is if you know how to build a car. Hell for that price you could have a shop do all the work for you. The only thing that Vette can do that you probably can't get out of a Mustang as good is 190mph top speed....but then again there's two thoughts about that that come to mind, 1) how long is that Vette going to handle that speed and/or will you ever get the chance to even get it there, and 2) there are lots of Fox Mustangs that run 190mph in the quarter mile. Again it's all about what you want out of your car and how fat your wallet is.

Think about this....if Chevy can build and sell the Z06 for 80k, then you know they're spending less to build it. Maybe you can't go out and buy the parts from Chevy to make your Corvette as fast as a Z06, but that's because Vettes are expensive and so are the parts. You could spend 30k on a Mustang engine....and that's going to build you a SERIOUS racing engine, and then spend the other 50k on the rest of the car like about 6k on suspension and then beef up the brakes....you wouldn't spend another 20k in just making the Mustang handle and brake as well as the Vette....then you've got another 30k to do whatever you want...like twin turbo on that race engine. Next thing you know you have a Mustang that will outhandle a Ferrari 360 Modena (i've seen this at the track myself) and enough power to destroy anything built from the factory except maybe a Bugatti Veyron (which if you built the Mustang to handle drag racing then it would also destroy that too).

The only missing link to making all this work is money. You might not be able to finance all this stuff to build a Mustang like you can finance a new Z06, but let's face it if you have the cash to finance the Vette then you probably have the cash to build the Mustang too, or at the very least you've got credit cards with enough charge on them to do it.

The problem is people who go out and put an HCI combo on an otherwise stock Mustang and expect to blow everything off the road.

You just contradicted yourself, somebody who finances a 80-90k car generally DOES NOT have 80-90k laying around to just toss into another car. You can make a Mustang do anything but people seem to think the new cars from the factory dont have stuff available for them. The thing with new cars is they can do stuff and still be really streetable and ride really good comparitively.

Not a contradiction....how many middle class family guys are going out financing 80k dollar cars? The only people driving them are people wealthy enough to afford the 600+ a month just for the car payment, not to mention the insane insurance price. If you can afford all that then you're probably doing well enough to charge the stuff to make a Mustang faster.

Also, how many Z06 owners are taking their cars to banked test tracks? I wasn't saying how long would it last as far as before it blew up, i'm saying how practical is a 190mph top speed when you probably will never get it that fast? Also any Mustang that you can handle driving daily can be make as fast as i'm talking about and still be daily driven....that's the magic of turbos. 1000hp street cars are very common these days, and if you build your suspension with adjustable shocks and struts then it'll handle just as well (or bad) as a typical Mustang. I don't think the Z06 is what i would call a comfortable ride either.

there is a lot of cars that are faster than the 5.0. But there is no other car out there with the variety or aftermarket/performance parts like the 5.0 has IMO. With all of the manufacturers still coming out with more 5.0 parts than the 4.6's. With our options of performance parts, it makes us proud 5.0 owners capable of taking on anything.

Not a contradiction....how many middle class family guys are going out financing 80k dollar cars? The only people driving them are people wealthy enough to afford the 600+ a month just for the car payment, not to mention the insane insurance price. If you can afford all that then you're probably doing well enough to charge the stuff to make a Mustang faster.

Also, how many Z06 owners are taking their cars to banked test tracks? I wasn't saying how long would it last as far as before it blew up, i'm saying how practical is a 190mph top speed when you probably will never get it that fast? Also any Mustang that you can handle driving daily can be make as fast as i'm talking about and still be daily driven....that's the magic of turbos. 1000hp street cars are very common these days, and if you build your suspension with adjustable shocks and struts then it'll handle just as well (or bad) as a typical Mustang. I don't think the Z06 is what i would call a comfortable ride either.

For a Mustang to handle the same, IE really handle the same or BETTER, less body roll, better in long sweeping turns, short turns, skid pad g testing bs, it's gonna take more than some control arms and adjustble shocks and the car is gonna ride like a BRICK period.

Yes you can make a 1000 HP turbo street car but to have the whole package takes alot more, most (not all) of these so called "1000 hp street cars" are built for drag racing and have automatics with big converters.

Also, the average person who finances a new Z06 doesnt have $50k laying around to build the ultimate Mustang and going to a bank and saying "I need 50k to build my Mustang" is gonna get you laughed out of the building, plus you end up with something that isnt as easy to sell down the road making it a poor investment.

The I can build such n such for less comment has merit to some degree but comparing a $3000 car with a bunch of money in mods to a BRAND NEW CAR that hauls ass, does it all for 80k is rediculous and borderline ricer. It's not the same thing no matter what you do. That argument is so lame unless discussing rip off priced exotics that are more about their name than what they give you as a car.

$80000 for an aluminum blocked, INSANELY handling, stop on a dime, 198 MPH stop speed without shaking so bad you fly off the road, decent MPG car that comes with a warranty (lol who cares anyway) that can make over 550 rwhp with a cam swap, still not idle like the world is coming to an engine, then make 700+ with a bottle isnt that bad of a deal and thats coming from me, not really a Vette supporter.

You can take less in a fox body and make it faster than an 03-04 Cobra but like was said, MOST Cobra's are financed, I know ALOT of Cobra owners and only two out of our group are paid for. Look how streetable an 03 Cobra is, you cant tell a 650 rwhp one from a 360 rwhp just by lookin at it with the hood shut with both idling. Thats the thing with new car prices, you get a NICE, NEW car with potential for a decent price by todays standards, although sticker shock if you are comparing it to a $2000-$8000 fox body.

I can see it now, all the fuggers in the 80's with their carb Mustangs "those new 5.0 cars are EXPENSIVE, I can build such n such for half the money and not mess wit that tharr fee yoooolll injecshun mumbo jumbo"

there is a lot of cars that are faster than the 5.0. But there is no other car out there with the variety or aftermarket/performance parts like the 5.0 has IMO. With all of the manufacturers still coming out with more 5.0 parts than the 4.6's. With our options of performance parts, it makes us proud 5.0 owners capable of taking on anything.

This is basically it in a nutshell. Thats why you see fox bodys everywhere, in trailer parks all busted up or at millionaire's houses! They go both ways!!!!!

LOL they have gone a tick faster than that, comparing an NMRA drag car to what we are talking about here is asanine at best.

The correct spelling is asinine by the way.
And the original post was about how much it would cost to make equal or more horse power in a Fox compared to newer models.
I was stating a fact.
With enough knowledge and money , you can go as fast as you want!

Pro 5.0 class run 6.60 et 212 mph. These cars are similiar to a NHRA Pro Stock Type car with a carbon fiber body and a tube chassis.
The car I was speaking off was a Fox Body. I believe the class was Vortech Outlaw 10.5. The 10.5 is the max width of the slicks in this class.
LOL, they haven't gone a tick faster. Your thinking of Pro 5.0. This car was the first stock body type car ( and it was a Fox Body) to hit the 200mph mark.

first of all... the fox body was a kick as car and still is.

you need to stop comparing 79-93 5.0s to 94-07 cars. the fox was the longest running of the mustangs and still has a reputation ass a sweet ride.

camping a 93 stang to a 07 Z06 vette is stupid.( as with any 400hp plus factory car) stock for stock. NO **** what do you think will be faster??? what you need to compare is a 93 stang to a 93 camaro and 83 stang to a 83 firebird. Your jumping HUGE generation gaps.

~HEAD LINES~

1990 Mustang 5.0 gets SMOKED by a 06 Z06.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

who gives a flying ****.

a 5.0 is a 5.0 and was a killer car from 79 to 93 and still it.

5.0 can be made plenty fast with the right know how and money, as with anything.

*speed cost money, so how fast you want to go?

4-5k for a nice 5.0. gets you mid 14's if you can drive. or if your 25thmustang you get low 13's(he drives like an animal :nice:)

50k+ gets you a Z06 that runs 11's.

it will always be the who has the most money people that will come out on top in the HP game. Get over it. If you think 5.0s are slow then you go take out a loan and buy you a new car.

end rant.

I bought my Fox body not because it was competitive with today's cars - heck, I rented a Hyundai Azere last week that was freaking quick as sheeet. I got my 1989 LX 5.0 convertible because it was the car to have when I was in college. My roommate had a 1986 GT hatchback but I wanted a convertible since I'm in Fort Lauderdale. (selfish, I know...)

My three year old and I went for a drive yesterday and stopped at the DQ for a treat. While there, she says "Daddy, why do you call the vertible a 'toy'?" After I explained this to her, we drove home. On the way, some guy about my age in a Chrysler minivan pulls up to us at a light with her in the car seat in the back & says "Nice car!!!" I then told her that this is why it is Daddy's toy. The car is 100% original and has had no body work & original, garage kept paint.

It only has 28,380 miles on it and looks new - but it is quick enough for me. The 5.0 still runs strong when you romp on it and all I got it for was the sunny day cruises to The Strip here in Lauderdale. In about 5 years, when I'm ready to get a new Saleen Vert, it'll only have about 32k on it and have been garage kept since new.

View attachment 419611

The correct spelling is asinine by the way.
And the original post was about how much it would cost to make equal or more horse power in a Fox compared to newer models.
I was stating a fact.
With enough knowledge and money , you can go as fast as you want!

Pro 5.0 class run 6.60 et 212 mph. These cars are similiar to a NHRA Pro Stock Type car with a carbon fiber body and a tube chassis.
The car I was speaking off was a Fox Body. I believe the class was Vortech Outlaw 10.5. The 10.5 is the max width of the slicks in this class.
LOL, they haven't gone a tick faster. Your thinking of Pro 5.0. This car was the first stock body type car ( and it was a Fox Body) to hit the 200mph mark.

Spelling schmelling, lack of comprehension has stricken! You are talking about 200 MPH DRAG CARS in the 1/4, thats NOT what anybody else has been talking about here and has zero to do with the thread at hand. Anything about top speed being brought up is in a street car in an all around package not a 1320 only hero.

A few fox bodys have been over 200 in the 1/4, Wolfe has been 197 on DR's for crying outloud.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, the "I could do more for less" comment holds water to a certain degree but after that point it's ricer *****. You do not end up with the same thing by building an older car, Im not talking about from the performance stand point, Im talking fit and finish and refinement. That means **** all to me to a point but it's a point that is hard to get across to some people. I used to have plenty of money before I ended up being poor folk and I had a 80 Z28 and a 94 Z28 at the time that I was constantly pouring money into, not anything new and fancy, imagine that.

I was more content throwing money in those fuggers and having the other money for things like oh say, NOT HAVING TO WORK and other stuff like that, so everybody's decisions are different. If I had to do it all over again, I would have either bought the ZR1 I could have gotten a deal on at the time and done who knows what with it or I wish I had been into Mustangs then, I could have done alot with one instead of the Z28 that nobody had any answers for on what I wanted to do with it at the time.

Since Chevy started coming out with cars from the factory that were faster than well-planned H/C/I 5.0s, and since Fords mustang Cobra could make 500 rwhp with a chip, pulley, exhaust and a tune.

I know that once I twin turboed my '91 mustang, I never looked at a 5.0 as if it were a race. I did, however, look forward to racing '03-'04 cobras, '05+ vettes, etc...

I know there are some blazingly fast 5.0s out there, but guess what: on the street in two years of having a turbo 5.0 that only made around 420rwhp I only ran into one other fox-body that could run with me. They've got a corvette now from the factory that's faster than both of us were, and there are plenty of '03-'04 Cobras that I see around town that would've run with me.

5.0s just aren't competitive today. There's just too much that has to be done to one to put it in the same league as another gear-head's cobra, vette, LSx, hemi etc... They still have a reputation as being capable of being fast if a lot of money is put into them, no doubt. Then again, the same could be said of anything.

Chris

Chris,

I liked how you just totally ignored my point and jumped striaght into yours.

Facts are.. you go the track and the fox is competing and winning.

The street isnt a field for competition (IMO anyways). I guess it could be argued that the street is grounds for competition.. BUT.. legal.. and REAL competitions are held at the track and thats where the fox is still alive and breathing well.

I take it you must not get out the tracks very often or something :shrug: