Indicator Lights Not Working On Initial Startup

posted a similar thread about the airbag light staying on but I want to elaborate and check into another issue. I pulled the cluster (91 GT) and replaced the "illumination" bulbs with LED bulbs. All of the other bulbs are OEM and in working condition. In the process of all of this my battery died - I recharged and it is good to go. Just mentioning this in case it may have something to do with this problem. When I turn the key over the check engine light comes on for a few seconds like it is supposed to. TThe airbag light was staying on - I ended up pulling the bulb all together. What I am really trying to figure out is, why am I not getting the low coolant, low oil etc light when I initially turn the car on? I know they are supposed to all turn on for a few seconds and then turn off. II disconnected battery for 10 minutes to try to reset ECU (mainly for the airbag light) but still only getting check engine light initially. All of my other lights work great and the panel looks great with the 5 - LED bulbs in there. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I am pretty sure they OEM bulbs go in either way. and I tested before I put them in so they were working.. wondering if I messed some contacts up in the harness from plugging/unplugging 10 times to test the other bulbs. I doubt it though. something is up just not sure what. I certainly don't want to take the dash apart again.

In other words there are 16 total bulbs in the cluster. 6 are illumination bulbs and the rest are battery, turn signals, high beams, warning lights etc. All of then remained unchanged except the illumination bulbs which just light the dash.

tmp_2014-02-16 14.04.51-139697123.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
So looking at your lights compared to mine, I see your white pointers instead of orange ones and a yellow 5000rpm bar instead of orange, looks good. All your green is brighter too, you're making me think of doing it. Whats involved, just swaping bulbs??
yes just swap out to LED bulbs. just change the illumination bulbs indicated on back of cluster. it is a pain to take It all apart. not too bad. I need to figure out why my warning bulbs aren't working right though.

You used 5 green ones spread out??
no. order either the single LEDs or the 5-LEDs and replace I'm the "illumination" slots. There are black fixtures that hold the bulbs. pop put OEM bulb and replace with LED. There are some step by step instructions on the Internet - I don't have the link handy. you have to take your cluster out which takes some time, maybe longer for me since I've never done it.

no. order either the single LEDs or the 5-LEDs and replace I'm the "illumination" slots. There are black fixtures that hold the bulbs. pop put OEM bulb and replace with LED. There are some step by step instructions on the Internet - I don't have the link handy. you have to take your cluster out which takes some time, maybe longer for me since I've never done it.
white LEDs not green. If you go with single instead of the 5-LED it will not be as bright and might retain some of those colors you said we're lacking because of the brightness.