Infested. Crazy Ants.

outlawjay

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Atlanta
Wow.

The last thing I needed to do before my car went to paint tomorrow morning was figure why I had a bunch of ants on the roof of my car....

WAY worse than I thought. I have CRAZY ANTS. They have nested somewhere inside the car. I think I have narrowed it down to under the right fender OR under the cowl/dash. I imagine this is the first time many have heard of them because they are a pretty new problem. They just pop up out of nowhere and take over. AND they love messing up electrical.

I had an anti-freeze spill/leak so the sugary smell attracted them. Crazy Ant is the real term. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I had some ants in my car when I bought it, albeit doesn't sound as bad as your situation. I got a few of those Terra (sp?) liquid ant bait traps. I set them in the car in various places, the ants come to them because of the smell/taste, then take the liquid poison back to the colony and it kills them all.

Worked for me. No ants in months.

I would suggest getting some ant killer spray, and spray it around suspect areas that wont get in the way of your paint. If you can find exactly where they are nesting, that would make it a lot easier.

Alright. I left the car in the WORK parking lot so I don't just attract the same family of ants. I used the Terro liquid bait from Lowes and they clearly slurp it up. I just hope the workers take it back to wherever they come from. Just for anyone that doesn't really know, you can't paint a car if bugs walk around on it. I figured I would say that because so many people can't understand why I still just didn't get it painted. My plan is to get the Deep Emerald Green two tone Mustang in there the day after I see the last ant.. I have marked the calender for Friday morning. Pics should soon follow.

Alright. I left the car in the WORK parking lot so I don't just attract the same family of ants. I used the Terro liquid bait from Lowes and they clearly slurp it up. I just hope the workers take it back to wherever they come from. Just for anyone that doesn't really know, you can't paint a car if bugs walk around on it. I figured I would say that because so many people can't understand why I still just didn't get it painted. My plan is to get the Deep Emerald Green two tone Mustang in there the day after I see the last ant.. I have marked the calender for Friday morning. Pics should soon follow.

Honestly?

You encountered that many people that didn't understand why you didn't want ants crawling across a newly painted car?
Before giving them any credit,did you look down to be sure that the pro painted-ant crowd had their shoes on the right feet?

Maybe in the ant community, the word has gotten out that you intend to paint it, and the ants that your seeing are the extremely rare emerald green paint fume sniffing ants,...willing to trade their miserable lives for one last giant huff, so they can go to that great big ant hill in the sky, stoned to the bejusus.

Did you ever stop to consider that??? :rolleyes:

madmike- Yup. I'm sure those people understand why you couldn't just spray on top of ants, but my crowd of people who thought I was getting it painted this week were just a little dumbfounded by why you just couldn't wipe them off.

One more set back... house was broken into today. Long week so far. I had my paint money in the safe at work though! HA. The fools walked out with a TCL tv, a HP laptop, another TV and $150 in cash. Weirdos.

After all that, the car went to paint today. They said they won't start till monday though, which is fine with me. The only problem I have now is to inspect the trim pieces from around the glass because they were sitting on the floor in fornt of where the tv was that was stolen. This week has felt like a rap song.