Info on 2006 SVT and SE Mustangs...

5.4 N/A or SC'd I don't care as long as it baselines around 400hp in SVT Cobra form.
That my friends is where my money goes in 08'-09'.
I've already informed the wife. I just have to figure out if I can keep the 99 GT.
-Jason

• Sponsors (?)

having seen the production 05 in person, i seriously doubt they will use the 5.4L in the Mustang. the intake on the 4.6L already sticks up pretty high. a higher hood would obstruct some views. plus the next SVT is supposed to compete with Vettes. a 5.4L is very top heavy. not good for handling.

DBMSTNG said:
having seen the production 05 in person, i seriously doubt they will use the 5.4L in the Mustang. the intake on the 4.6L already sticks up pretty high. a higher hood would obstruct some views. plus the next SVT is supposed to compete with Vettes. a 5.4L is very top heavy. not good for handling.

The 5.4L is approximately 1.3" higher than the 4.6L. With a mild hood buldge it will fit. Don't you remember the spy photos of the supposed Cobra mule with the big hood buldge?

I belive that a 5.4L S/C 3 valve engine would be more than adequate for the next Cobra, A 3V 5.4 could put out 95% of the HP that the Ford GT engine does which would be well over 500 HP. However, I say odds are the next SVT Cobra t will use a version of the DOHC 5.4L. 4V engine. They will use the DOHC 4V simply for marketing reasons (bragging rights, I got more valves and cams than you do).

Wasn't Ford playing with a N/A 351 CI V10 in a Mustang? I am not saying that it is the engine or even heard that it ever will be in the new Cobra or whatever they decide to call it. Just curious if it is a feasable possibilty or just something that they did for $hits and giggles. Would make a sweet Boss 351 if you ask me though.
Kevin

Sicarius428 said:
Wasn't Ford playing with a N/A 351 CI V10 in a Mustang? I am not saying that it is the engine or even heard that it ever will be in the new Cobra or whatever they decide to call it. Just curious if it is a feasable possibilty or just something that they did for $hits and giggles. Would make a sweet Boss 351 if you ask me though.
Kevin

Unfortunately the 351 CID V10 was a bootleg project by some engineers who were upset that the Ford GT was going to use the 5.4 S/C engine. The V10 performs so well, that they did get upper Ford management's attention. The result was that Bill Ford ordered the troops to "find a place for that engine". The result was the 427 concept and the Shelby Cobra Roadster (and potentially the Shelby GR-1).

I would love to have a 351 CID V10 Mustang, but I doubt that will happen. I give a 10% chance we'll see a VERY limited production Mustang with a V10, like the next Cobra R. :(

DBMSTNG said:

Yea i didnt' mean to suggest that it owuld necessarily have to have a 5.4L. They do it with the 4.6L DOHC with twin screw supercharger. Thats probably a more likely solution. Anything can be done from the factory. I know one thing they are going to run 3-5k more expensive though. They are heading for vette territory because they are going to be QUITE a bit better quality and just as high performance.

kirkyg

Gloveperson said:
Does anyone think that all Ford will do for the in between Cobra and GT (lets call it the bullit) is the 93 octane tune, some wheels and tires?

-Todd

Yes, I'm sure Ford will, but I don't think that we will see such a model until after the SVT Cobra comes out. It would not be tuned for anything higher than 91 Octane as that's the highest avaialble in some parts of the US.

SVT, GT, Etc

Im curious, I saw another post, where the headline read "2006 SVT CObra" Does that mean the SVT will most likly be out next year around this time. Because if it is, I might just wait and buy this, are we looking at the same price range as the old SVT like 36-40k? Kinda high, but it would be worth it. Im just contimplating weather or not to get a GT now, or a Cobra next year, if it is comming out next year.

Lipid_Sama said:
Im curious, I saw another post, where the headline read "2006 SVT CObra" Does that mean the SVT will most likly be out next year around this time. Because if it is, I might just wait and buy this, are we looking at the same price range as the old SVT like 36-40k? Kinda high, but it would be worth it. Im just contimplating weather or not to get a GT now, or a Cobra next year, if it is comming out next year.

I think your right because most vehicles come out the fall before their "year". For example, the 2005 stang came out in fall 2005 so i'd assume the 2006 SE/SVT stang will come out fall 2005. At least I hope so!

jasonlee0704 said:
Dude, you're talking about the next SVT Focus.

You have to eavesdrop on ALL of the conversation...

No no... no more Focus it is the next SVT Ford 500! It will be powered by a Bell Turbine and fitted with 24" titanium wheels..

just thought I would add my .02 in here. I highly doubt that ford is going to be putting 500 Horsepower into a mustang. it just is not feasible. There is the 150k Ford GT that they want to sell that makes 500+ and then u say there will be a 40 thousand dollar mustang with almost the same power. It's rediculous guys. No one is that dumb. If they did this then with like minimal mods you could take out fords top dog. That is just stupid IMO and im not trying to make fun of people but we all have to think realistically. The Mustang and vette are in two different categories. The cobra can probably compete with a stock c6 but I highly doubt ford will try to take over the Z06. Im not a chevy guy either cause I own a mustang. I am just trying to think realistically on what Ford will do.

Lipid_Sama said:

SVT has pretty much said that the next SVT Cobra - Mustang will be a 2007 Model Year car, but it will be availble in mid 2006, much like the 2003 SVT Cobra - Mustang went on sale in June 2002.

Of course May - June 2006 is still a long way off. The best laid plans of men and mice often go awry.

golf4283 said:
just thought I would add my .02 in here. I highly doubt that ford is going to be putting 500 Horsepower into a mustang. it just is not feasible. There is the 150k Ford GT that they want to sell that makes 500+ and then u say there will be a 40 thousand dollar mustang with almost the same power. It's rediculous guys. No one is that dumb. If they did this then with like minimal mods you could take out fords top dog. That is just stupid IMO and im not trying to make fun of people but we all have to think realistically. The Mustang and vette are in two different categories. The cobra can probably compete with a stock c6 but I highly doubt ford will try to take over the Z06. Im not a chevy guy either cause I own a mustang. I am just trying to think realistically on what Ford will do.

Hello? Do you really think that the $40K SVT Cobra - Mustang and the $150K Ford GT are competitors?

Do you also understand that Ford has said they will only build the Ford GT for 3 years and will build ONLY about 3,500 of them?

SVT also seems to have "leaked" that the HP rating for the next Mustang Cobra will be 450 HP. But of couse, just like the 390 HP 03-04 SVT Cobra-Mustang puts out 420+ HP. the 2007 version will really put out close to 500 HP.

351CJ said:
The 5.4L is approximately 1.3" higher than the 4.6L. With a mild hood buldge it will fit. Don't you remember the spy photos of the supposed Cobra mule with the big hood buldge?

speaking of those spy shots... Lots of people said they were fake, because the headlights were distorted. I always thought that was wierd, cause why would a photoshop adding a cowl hood affect the headlights.
In fact, if you look at some pics of the stang now, you can see sorta the same effect, with the headlight that's farther away looking slightly bigger, probably cause of a reflection from the bottom.

check out this one off of brad's site for example
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/0914-14.jpg

or this one
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/0914-26.jpg

mustang sallad said:
speaking of those spy shots... Lots of people said they were fake, because the headlights were distorted. I always thought that was wierd, cause why would a photoshop adding a cowl hood affect the headlights.
In fact, if you look at some pics of the stang now, you can see sorta the same effect, with the headlight that's farther away looking slightly bigger, probably cause of a reflection from the bottom.

check out this one off of brad's site for example
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/0914-14.jpg

or this one
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/0914-26.jpg

Yea, I remember the whole deal, including the arguments that the photos were fake becasuse you could not see the hood - fender gap line on one side. They weren't the greatest photos in the world, but they looked real to me. The hood is probably not the production hood, just something they cobbled together to give the engineers room to try different engine combinations.

golf4283 said:

The Ford GT is a moot point because all are already sold so this is a non-issue and production will cease within the next two years due to new bumper requirements the car cannot meet without a restyle. If you don't have a Ford GT on order, you will be purchasing a used one at a huge premium over sticker.

If Ford produced a 500HP Cobra, it wouldn't take away from Ford GT sales anyway, as the GT is a different animal marketed to a different crowd. Plus, as stated above, they are all gone. I don't think it would detract sales from a new Shelby Cobra Roadster or Ford Shelby GR-1 if they are produced, as again, marketed towards a different crowd and different animal.

I'm interested to see what Ford will do next with their SVT line, and would be willing to pay a hefty price increase over the 2004 models if they deliver a quality product. But to think the Cobra would rob sales of the Ford current and Supercar line is not entirely correct.

People that purchase the Ford GT's purchase Vipers, Ferrari, and other unaffordable supercars, and want the complete package. People who purchase Cobras want a muscle car that whoops tail on the domestic competition.