inline fuel pump vs holley blue(style)

TorontoJohn

Sep 8, 2004
I have a carb converted 87 gt. The fuel pump(holley blue) just broke. I think it was having too hard of a time sucking fuel up from the tank, through the stock fuel lines. I have decided to pick up a sump and get it welded to the bottom of my tank. I think this should clear up that issue.

My next task is to pick a pump. What kind of pump would you reccomend? I would love an inline pump, but I have yet to find one that isn't putting out over 15psi. I need something in the 5-10 psi range. If not an inline pump, what pump would your reccomend? I don't want anothe rholley blue, i had trouble with this from day one. It maybe saw 15 hours before it broke. I want something affordable as I am fixing the car to sell it

ty

John

• Sponsors (?)

I think Holley, Aeromotive, BG and some others make carbed style inline pumps. Holley just came out with a black pump, supposedly a quieter type for installations like yours.

Let us know what you find out and install, cause I'm wanting to do this also as soon as time and $ permit.

where did you have the pump installed? pumps push fuel easier than they pull it. if it is lower and as close to the tank as possible it should be fine. do you have it close to a muffler or something and getting it hot.

I had the pump in my trunk. It was sucking from the fuel tank up into the trunk, then down back through the filter system and to the engine. I am going to put a sump on my tank and mount the pump behind the back bumper. That will make it a nice short run to the pump, plus will mount it lower.

I found this pump

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs...1&productId=2005671&langId=-1&catalogId=10101

but I figure for the extra 60$ I should probably just buy a pump that puts out more flow...like a holley or a aeromotive.

I run a Carter black case electric fuel pump with a regulator mounted up front. It is mounted in front of the fuel tank on the pass side (where the stock fuel filter used to be but lower) so it is at the same level as the suction line entry point. I'm using the Gems pick up tube assembly that mounts in place of the original in tank fuel pump. I have the same pump on my 68 and it seems to work well and has lasted a couple of years now.