inner fender and vin

KreagerM

Nov 24, 2005
Maryland
Well I have a question for you all. I have a 65 fastback but somewhere along the way someone replaced the inner fender with one from a 6cyl hardtop (according to the vin). The vin# my title goes by is the one on the door tag. This out of place inner fender is really starting to get to me, I'm still trying to decide what to do about it. The engine compartment is in very good condition with no rust so I would hate to replace this one part. What would you all do if you were me? Leave it alone? grind it off? replace it?

• Sponsors (?)

The Number on the inner fender is the ONLY official number for liscensing and registration. The door tag IS NOT valid for that purpose. The fore-mentioned as paraphrased from the Ford Shop Manual. Since the inner fender is an integral part of the framework of the car, you would need the documentation from that vehicle also. Maryland would probably consider it a reconstructed vehicle which requires the following for Proof of ownership – The ownership document must be for the vehicle frame used in building the reconstructed vehicle:

If the frame is new, the certificate of origin included with the kit is required.
If the frame is from a used vehicle, a title for the vehicle in your name or a title that has been properly assigned to you is required.
If the frame is from a salvaged vehicle, a salvage certificate in your name or a certificate that has been properly assigned to you is required.
Other documents that may establish ownership are:

Registration document and bill of sale – ONLY if the state from which the frame was obtained did not issue a title (usually because of the vehicle’s age).

Hope you get it straightened out!

JB66 said:
The Number on the inner fender is the ONLY official number for liscensing and registration. The door tag IS NOT valid for that purpose. The fore-mentioned as paraphrased from the Ford Shop Manual. Since the inner fender is an integral part of the framework of the car, you would need the documentation from that vehicle also. Maryland would probably consider it a reconstructed vehicle which requires the following for Proof of ownership – The ownership document must be for the vehicle frame used in building the reconstructed vehicle:

If the frame is new, the certificate of origin included with the kit is required.
If the frame is from a used vehicle, a title for the vehicle in your name or a title that has been properly assigned to you is required.
If the frame is from a salvaged vehicle, a salvage certificate in your name or a certificate that has been properly assigned to you is required.
Other documents that may establish ownership are:

Registration document and bill of sale – ONLY if the state from which the frame was obtained did not issue a title (usually because of the vehicle’s age).

Hope you get it straightened out!

Thanks for the reply!!
It looks like the one plan I had in mind is going to have to be executed in this case. That would be to buy a rusty pos 65 fastback with a clear title so I can salvage the inner fender and door tag (not so important but nice to have)