Innovate Mtx-l Wideband And Moates Quarterhorse

k00ksta

May 13, 2007
Chicago
Any suggestions on best location (driver-side, passenger-side) to have the bung welded into the exhaust (Doc's say about 24" away from the collector so say 6" after the O2 sensors that are on it now). I will have the gauge mounted in a single pillar pod on and I just bought the Moates Quarterhorse so I will need to run an analog line to that I believe for the real time data logging capabilities not sure on how it ties into all that yet so any information on that would be great.

Thanks for any help :)

• Sponsors (?)

Are we correct in assuming you have an off-road mid pipe? If so then just below the existing NB bung driver's side between 10 - 2 O-clock on the pipe. You don't want water condensing and pooling around the O2 sensor. The WB kit should come with a controller and wiring instructions. If you don't have the WB controller you will need to tap into the NB O2 pin on the ECU so the Quarterhorse can read the WB O2 signal.

I would assume that's correct. Since the WB kit is just the gauge and sensor (no controller) the Moates system has to have the interface that will allow you to data log in real time. Before I installed the AEM-EMS I used a Zetronix system that included the controller and the software to data log directly to a laptop. See this. Mine is wire wired such that I can simultaneously data log from the controller and the EMS to the laptop.

The WB kit should come with a controller and wiring instructions. If you don't have the WB controller you will need to tap into the NB O2 pin on the ECU so the Quarterhorse can read the WB O2 signal.

I've never heard of running a WB without a controller, or wiring it into the O2 pin. As far as I know all Widebands need a controller. The controller analog output can be made to simulate a NB and that can be connected the the O2 signal wire - removing one of your NB's and leaving a convenient space to mount it. The LC2 for example has two analog output wires, and you can program the voltage ranges so that one simulates the NB and the other is a true WB.

You could connect your WB controller directly to your computer for datalogging (most have serial ports to do so). You can also connect the analog output (the one you've configured to be WB) to the EGR sensor lead. The QuarterHorse (with Binary Editor) supports either configuration. It's kind of nice to have the WB information datalogged into the same file as the rest of the QH information, and both of those methods allow you to do so.

If you've already deleted your EGR and you want a one-wire hookup for your QH to your laptop for datalogging, it's a good way to go. If you haven't and don't intend to, then connecting the laptop to the WB controller itself (via serial port) is what you'd want to do.

If you wanted to get really crazy you could run both banks off of one NB O2 output (this can be set in QH) and then put the Wideband in the other side. That way you could see the WB output in QH, but this would still require a controller and you'd definitely want to program to ignore that output for the purposes of the computer. (It's pretty easy to do, just set numO2's to "1"). This isn't as nice as using a serial connection to the controller or using the EGR input because Binary Editor won't convert the voltages to an AFR in your datalog - you'll have to do that yourself based on your WB slope.

Last edited:
Any suggestions on best location (driver-side, passenger-side) to have the bung welded into the exhaust (Doc's say about 24" away from the collector so say 6" after the O2 sensors that are on it now)

You either misinterpreted "Doc's" or he/she/they misspoke. You want it 24" after the header flange, not 24" after the collector....more if you're running long tubes. Mounting it 24" after the collector will put it 2ft down your mid pipe, well past your stock O2 sensors and quite possibly into, or after your catalytic converters or crossover.

Usually about 3"-6" after the collector on the drivers side is fine.