Install 331or sell for 2011 5.0 - and for how much?

stangonline

Feb 22, 2003
I have a dart 331 complete engine with sq-trim, ready to go into my 93 coupe. I've been thinking hard about the new 2011 5.0 crate motor instead...in fact, I'm leaning that way.

What would you guys do? I like a tight handling car and I hit the road course once in a while.

If I sell the 331 - what do you think I should ask?

Here's the breakdown:

331ci Stroker, 4.03” DART Sportsman 8.20" deck
CRANK Eagle Internal Balance 4340 3.25” STROKE X 2.10/.927 PIN
5.400 ROD X 2.249 MAIN
RODS Eagle 4340 3D H-BEAM ARP 2000 Rod Bolt Upgrade
PISTONS PROBE SRS Series 14.2cc dish
PT# 12352-030 JOB#
CH 1.175 PIN .927”
WRIST PINS Probe Steel.927” Diameter, Dual Spiral Locks
MAIN Clevite 77 MS-590H
ROD CLEVITE 77 PT# CB-1227-H in ROD and CAP(BEARING MADE FOR LARGE FILLET EDGE CRANK)
RINGS PERFECT CIRCLE PT# 315-0049.005
4.03” 1/16 1/16 3/16 8CYL
JE RAIL SUPPORTS
BALANCE 0.OZ Pioneer Steel Hub, SFI Approved, Latemodel
BLOCK DART Sportsman (Align honed, decked, squared, blueprinted, bored and finish honed with TQ plates, lifter bores honed, brass freeze plugs, coated cam bearings) Modified/Massaged oil passages for better internal flow and draining.
CAM Flowtech Induction Custom Hyd Roller
SC-13F14S-HR12 +4*
.568/.576 218/228 112
(Cam was within 1 degree when it was degreed to motor)
Billet Timing Set
Ford Racing Hyd Roller Lifters, .001” clearance
Ford Racing Billet Cam Retainer Plate
DART Coated Cam Bearings
Canton 7qt Deep Sump Pan, Canton Pick-up, Canton Dip Stick, Melling 10688 HP Pump, adj spring + 25% volume , Ford Racing Chrome-moly oil drive shaft shaft. Fel-Pro 1 pc Oil Pan Gasket OS-30616R
CYLINDER HEADS AFR 185 PT#1388, Supplied by FTI with a PS3 upgrade (springs and seals)
ARP ½” head studs 154-4201
INDUCTION Holley SysteMAX II
Fel-Pro 1262
Scorpion Stud Mount 1.72” Rockers
TFS Pushrods , 1 piece chrome-moly 5/16” Diameter 6.20” L (Same length as supplied by FTI)
Ford Racing Chrom Valve Covers
New Ford timing cover
Chrome waterpump

Original price was about $8900.

I'll also include 70mm TB/Spacer, BA2400 MAF meter, ALL new sensors for the motor and anything else I can find that go with it.

• Sponsors (?)

331 - You already have the engine. It's already fully built and highly modded with the blower and ready to go in. Typical everyday install with no surprises or extra stuff needed or last minute modifications...no "oops, this is the wrong piece, lets get the correct one tomorrow and start again".

2011 5.0 - You have to buy the engine which is a brand new just developed engine so it's probably gonna cost a lot more than it will in a couple years. You're probably gonna have to modify the hell out of the engine bay. Does the engine come complete with the wiring harness? Will it even bolt to the trans or will you need a different trans? If you do need a different trans, how much will that cost? And will you have to get a custom drive shaft to fit? How much is that gonna cost? Will you need an ECU also? How much is that gonna cost? Are you gonna do all the labor or is a shop gonna do it? How much is all this gonna cost in money, time, and aggravation? And at the end of the day, how much power and torque will you have? Less than the 331 with the blower? Is it worth it? And are you ever gonna get that money back out of the car? For all the money you're gonna spend, you might as well just sell the 331 and your car and use the money as a down payment on a 2011. Even if you do all or most of the labor yourself, this project is gonna be expensive.

I'd say go with the 331 or sell everything and get a 2011 GT...

I had a R-blocked 331 with a procharger. It made 609 to the tires on the last dyno tune. I sold it and purchased the Ford Racing 5.0 mod motor.
For the engine, the control pack, and the alt I had 7400 in it. I am still waiting on the control pack. I am using an MM kmember which I got used on ebay for 350.
I still need to figure out the power steering, brakes, exhaust, and fuel system.
It is going to get expensive quick. If you are going to do be prepared.

331 - You already have the engine. It's already fully built and highly modded with the blower and ready to go in. Typical everyday install with no surprises or extra stuff needed or last minute modifications...no "oops, this is the wrong piece, lets get the correct one tomorrow and start again".

2011 5.0 - You have to buy the engine which is a brand new just developed engine so it's probably gonna cost a lot more than it will in a couple years. You're probably gonna have to modify the hell out of the engine bay. Does the engine come complete with the wiring harness? Will it even bolt to the trans or will you need a different trans? If you do need a different trans, how much will that cost? And will you have to get a custom drive shaft to fit? How much is that gonna cost? Will you need an ECU also? How much is that gonna cost? Are you gonna do all the labor or is a shop gonna do it? How much is all this gonna cost in money, time, and aggravation? And at the end of the day, how much power and torque will you have? Less than the 331 with the blower? Is it worth it? And are you ever gonna get that money back out of the car? For all the money you're gonna spend, you might as well just sell the 331 and your car and use the money as a down payment on a 2011. Even if you do all or most of the labor yourself, this project is gonna be expensive.

I'd say go with the 331 or sell everything and get a 2011 GT...

The price seems fair for this type of engine, the engine bay doesn't need modded (doesn't need modded for any of the other modulars either, which people have been installing for years), ecu and harness is included, the trans bolts up (standard modular bellhousing). I'm going to do my own work. I figure I can sell the stroker for the cost of this new engine and ecu/harness. The hard part is leaving over 200hp on the table but I think the manners of this new engine might make it worthwhile. I certainly don't want to purchase a new GT, lol.

You already have the pushrod setup ready to go, put it in and drive it.

The new 5.0 is a great engine, but when you want more power it's like any other modular engine, you need to drop over 5 grand to buy a supercharger.
And then that may lead to a shortblock build if you blow it up, that's about 5 grand.

This why i tell people, for a modular swap, smart money goes on an 03 cobra setup. Supports over 600rwhp, makes near 500rwhp with a pulley.

A new 5.0 is a novelty swap, not a performance swap.

Discussing the sale price of your 302-based engine is not allowed on the forums.

With that said, have you followed the threads detailing the swap? In addition to the engine, you'll need a k-member which exists only in prototype form as of this date, so you can't even put the engine in just yet. You'll need custom headers that have not been made yet, you'll have to ditch the ac to run the power steering setup. You'll need hydroboost, the ford wiring kit in addition to the trans setup. Right now, a 5.0 swap will prob run you $10-15k.

A 400hp 302 can be built for half that.

But I would love a 5.0 mod swap myself

Discussing the sale price of your 302-based engine is not allowed on the forums.

With that said, have you followed the threads detailing the swap? In addition to the engine, you'll need a k-member which exists only in prototype form as of this date, so you can't even put the engine in just yet. You'll need custom headers that have not been made yet, you'll have to ditch the ac to run the power steering setup. You'll need hydroboost, the ford wiring kit in addition to the trans setup. Right now, a 5.0 swap will prob run you $10-15k.

A 400hp 302 can be built for half that.

But I would love a 5.0 mod swap myself

Yes, I've followed some of them. It looks like the MM K works fine.

High Flow Performance

I think Mike posted that Ford is making a new PS bracket that allows you to keep AC, so that's a plus.

These are all good points - thanks guys. I really liked the idea of a high revving modular 5.0 and I already have the dart motor, so the money is spent - I just thought if I could get the 5.0 for near the price that I could sell the 331...I'd consider it.

High Flow Performance
I just thought if I could get the 5.0 for near the price that I could sell the 331...I'd consider it.

Ya, i had a good 347 setup, figured i could do the swap add a few bucks to what i sold everything for and i would be fine, i was like 4 grand off, lol.
Modular swaps nickel and dime you to death, the little things add up quick.

I wouldn't even go near a coyote swap until other people that have more resources or own shops sort out all the little issues. I don't know what header options there is going to be, but kooks will probably be among the first to make them, and that's going to be a grand right there.

I also don't see what you planned to do for a transmission, that could cost a bundle too.

I have a tko500 already.....I don't know. I was going through all of the stuff that I already have for the car... Staying Windsor would be the easy way that's for sure.

Another option would be to sell the dart setup and use my stock shortblock with some heads and the s-trim. I'd have some money left over for suspension and misc.

Well I sold the 331 and I've been working on prepping the car for the Coyote motor. It will be the last thing that I purchase - maybe they'll come out with a 430hp version next year ;)