Install K&N With no airbox?

jas142

Founding Member
Feb 11, 2002
My friend got a new Cold air intake, so he doesn't need his old K&N. Can I put the K&N in and delete the airbox? Anyway to lock it onto the MAF and just ditch the box? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I did they exact same thing to my mustang. Just unclamp the outer shell of the airbox and get you 4 or more selftapping screws and just screw you airfilter on to the rim where it connects to the MAF. Doesn't look the fanciest, but hell it works.

Brando

Just do this to the airbox. Use a dremel tool to cut it. Cut off everything except the side that has the silencer because then you can still bolt it to the side for support. Really easy mod.

fa4364f1.jpg

just wanted too know if this is effective as buying a cold air intake or one of those stupid things?seems like it would be the same thing, and stock plastic isnt a conductor of heat like metal would be

I would imagine it would be the same as the others except for the ones that actually have the filter inside the wheel-well. I'm sure that this won't give you any gains except maybe 1 or 2 HP, but it does sound good. Maybe someone else can chime in on the gains. I may be wrong. It does breath alot better which is why I did it.

Wikkdgt said:
Just do this to the airbox. Use a dremel tool to cut it. Cut off everything except the side that has the silencer because then you can still bolt it to the side for support. Really easy mod.

I know what I'm doing this weekend :D .......now I get to finally use that damn Dremel and this whole time I wondered why I bought that thing...... :shrug:

:flag:

Wow these all look ghetto, no offense, but don't half ass it dude. Just buy one of the kits with the sheild, DO NOT BUY A CAI, I made this mistake, a $200 mistake. The best solution is to just leave the stock airbox and take out the snorkel or get the shield with a kit. Just my .02 This is not meant in a bad way and not meant to offend people, but i half assed stuff on my truck and i didnt last too long, i learned the hard way.

Ok, so instead of your factory air box pulling the air from the fender(yes the stock box is sort of a cold air kit), its sucking in a ton of hot air from the engine. Your going to do all this so when you pop the hood people will see that you have a K&N filter? Put your time and effort into something else.

That cutting of the stock airbox looks bad. Why do that since your exposing the filter to the hot air incoming from the engine bay? The stock airbox is a better design than what you did.

If you really want to show people what filter you have then get an air intake setup from Volant. It has the airbox with a clear pexi-cover over it, exposing your filter to see and not to heat!

Okay, first I never said that I did it so I could show everyone my air filter, big deal, a K&N Air Filter. I don't know how the stock air box is better than opening up the entire filter. The FIPK kit doesn't totally shield every bit of heat from the engine and I hear lots of good things about it. Yes my mod will breath more hot air, but it is also getting more air in than with the stock air box over it and it sucking air through the little hole on the side.

dragginuts said:
Wow these all look ghetto, no offense, but don't half ass it dude. Just buy one of the kits with the sheild, DO NOT BUY A CAI, I made this mistake, a $200 mistake. The best solution is to just leave the stock airbox and take out the snorkel or get the shield with a kit. Just my .02 This is not meant in a bad way and not meant to offend people, but i half assed stuff on my truck and i didnt last too long, i learned the hard way.

Mr. Nuts, I'm using the same half assed cut up air box as Wikkdgt. My car also has already ran 12's N/A on DR's. How this happened I have no idea.......maybe I'm just lucky :shrug:

Jay

JayC said:
Mr. Nuts, I'm using the same half assed cut up air box as Wikkdgt. My car also has already ran 12's N/A on DR's. How this happened I have no idea.......maybe I'm just lucky :shrug:

Jay

I hear yah Jay, I did it to mine to.

The air temp in the engine bay isn’t A problem guys. The improvement is getting good flow 360% around the filter. With the stock box or even a shield you are still not pulling the same amount of air. Before people use to worry about fan wash. On our cars fan wash isn’t really a problem.

Ok, thats fine and all to run your filter that way... I was just saying I wouldn't do it. I have the C&L kit and the filter is expossed 360*, but the shield directs colder air to the filter. Colder air is denser, therefore leading to more horsepower.

stangizer10 said:
just wanted too know if this is effective as buying a cold air intake or one of those stupid things?seems like it would be the same thing, and stock plastic isnt a conductor of heat like metal would be
really, just throw the k&n in (probably want to use a cleaning kit on it depending how old it is and when the last time it was cleaned/recharged) and trim your silencer in line with the fender. Otherwise you let hot air get to your filter

-wade

Make your own, see pics

I had a BBK CAI I had bad throttle response between shifts. So I hacked off the elbow, bought a custom K&N and made mounts and an air shield. It works great and the intake tube stays cool after a long run meaning it's getting most of it's air from the fender opening. Also the throttle response is fantastic!! Here is a link, there are other pics but you can find the one with the CAI.

http://home.comcast.net/~stangclear/Mustang.html :flag: