Install result for JLT and Excal with tunes by Doug Bama

Installed yesterday in about 30 minutes without any problems, results are great--everything I wanted.
--No CEL, starts and idles like stock
--Much better driveablity than stock, smoother and with more even power delivery
--Huge improvement in throttle response. Engine now feels right on edge almost all the time. Stupidly easy to spin the tires in first and second.
--Mileage seems to be improved by about 0.5 mpg, although it is still early to say for sure.
--Clearly more power. I am experienced with modding my cars and I'm not one to imagine horsepower increases where they don't exist, but this is too obvious. It simply reaches the redline faster in the first two gears.

Other notes: Exhaust note is changed to a more gutteral sound, especially at high revs. Sounds good and is a very noticeable change. A result of more timing and less fuel I presume.

Overall, an improvement in every way--no down side at all.

The tune I'm using (and reviewing) is the bamachips "race" tune for 92 octane. I also got the torque tune for 87, and the performance tune for 92, but haven't yet tried them.

One question I have: The instructions for the Excal is to removed the fuel pump and cooling fan fuses prior to plugging in the Excal. I did it but I don't see the need--does anyone else pull those fuses prior to changing their tunes?

Owner1

• Sponsors (?)

here is the official word from SCT: (and no, this is not my question, just one that is in the FAQ thread)
SCTflash.com said:
Q: I recieved My Xcal2 today. In the instructions it states Disconnect the Fuel pump and fan Fuses....Where are those located exactly and what do they look like?

A: This depends on what model/year vehicle you own. The Fuel pump and fan fuses are usually listed in your owners manual and also inside the fusepanel cover. Pulling the fuses is necessary on all 96-97 vehicles, but may not be necessary in other years (although we do recommend it). We recommend it because it prevents battery drain during flashing, which may cause problems if your battery is low.

118872.jpg

Is that not a cat?