Installation of OEM 1993 Premium sound stereo into 87-92 Mustang

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by Mustang5L5, Mar 14, 2011.

1. 89oem

89oem Active Member

i have 10 cd player i mounted in my trunk and wired it to the stock 89 premium radio. its stilled hooked up, cant recall which wires but the radio controls volume remote controls shuffle etc... if you need me to look i can see how i connected it, been a few years....

2. michaela84567

michaela84567 New Member

wanting to go back to premium sound radio stock any help avaialble please

3. 91TwighlightGT

91TwighlightGT Active Member

I don't think you are amplified if you do it that way...

4. rooster6969

rooster6969 New Member

hello!new to the forum here but happy to help out with any questions you may have on fox radios.Im "the guy"who sells the fox body radios and cd players on ebay,with the ipod input installed into them.couple pics of my work.started doing this when I got my 88gt and wanted to put the stock radio back in.i currently have a new 93 cd player installed and have the eq setup also,both with ipod inputs installed.let me know,thanks. COREYS 351 (Medium).jpg IMG_0035 (Medium).JPG COREYS 391 (Medium).jpg

5. Tom S

Tom S Member

Nice job rooster I have a couple of your radio's . One in my Olds and another in my older daughter's Buick . Still have them and they work . Thumbs up to ya .

6. madspeed

madspeed Colonel Mustard
    Mod Dude Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    casettes and cd's... whats them?

7. Virtual

Virtual Active Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    I guess it's worth asking.. You willing to share how you add your aux input to the radio? Or is that a trade secret that's part of your ebay business? That's cool if it is since, you figured it out, but since many on here are DIY types I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in knowing what needs to be connected where?

8. rooster6969

rooster6969 New Member

I get that question a lot and believe a bunch of people could handle the install of an input if I told them but I cant give that info away.It does have much to do with my business of selling the radios.the other part is the multiple questions that would be asked or people even ruining their radios because it can go south pretty fast when you start soldering on the circuit board.i have dealt with all kind of problems in the past 5 years of doing this and was self taught.i appreciate the question and hope to help you out in anything else,thanks.

9. moe9853

moe9853 New Member

mber: 34506"]I don't think you are amplified if you do it that way...[/QUOTE]
    Not sure what you mean by that. Anyway, i gave up on that project. I just kept the factory 93 radio conversion on my 88 fox. I am now thinking about using a more modern oem radio (like the one in my 08 fusion) but it won't be for a long time. When I do, ill make a new thread.

10. akfodysvn

Founding Member

My radio won't kick on at all. I have a 1993 with premium sound. Checked the fuses under the dash and they are all okay including 17. No lights and no sound. Car and radio only have 30k miles so I really want to keep it.

I read the opening page and noticed that I don't have the "shorting plug" to go in the top slot seeing as I don't have the CD player version.

Is there an internal fuse?

What would be my next step for trouble shooting it?

11. Mustang5L5

Mustang5L5 Car used in adult film "Highway Gangbang-InDaButt"
    SN Certified Technician Founding Member

Verify that you have power to the radio and to the amp by pulling them out, and checking for 12V on some of the wiring laid out in diagrams on previous pages.

It is possible the radio is shorted out as well

12. akfodysvn

Founding Member

So I pulled the radio and put it back in. This morning I started the car and to my surprise the radio turned on... This last about 1 minute before it turned off...

13. akfodysvn

Founding Member

Radio is getting good power and verified the ground on the harness itself is good too. Leaning to the radio itself being bad.