Installed 98 Cobra Speedo in 96 GT... <pic>

Oct 7, 2003
...and it works. Same MPH, same RPM, pats still working etc.

When I was trying to find info about this swap I got mixed replies. Well, I just did it and it is seemingly working fine. The only problem I see is that the redline on the RPM gauge is different.

On the 96-98 gauges there are two circuit board type things that I swapped over. They plug into the back of the cluster. I have no idea what they do, but with the ones from my old speedo seem to keep everything working fine.

So if anyone else is interested, it works. Looks killer too.

A tad big if clicked. heh.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't understand the point of installing Cobra gauge on GT. You'll have same speedo, and althought red zone is higher, you can't rev it that high anyway...
U could just order UPR white auge set, and swap it over without swapping board.

Id Cobra gauge worth 10hp or something???

mity2 said:
I don't understand the point of installing Cobra gauge on GT. You'll have same speedo, and althought red zone is higher, you can't rev it that high anyway...

They net about as much as your bullit gas cap.

mity2 said:

I would like to put one on mine, since I have the 120 mph v6 cluster still...

mity2 said:

They look and work better...no worries about needles getting stuck. and not every GT can't be revved higher. Also you can find complete clusters for the price of UPR inserts if you look hard enough.

I like the idea of it.. I always wondered if that would work without anything extra being added to it.

I think it'd be really good for a cammed 2V that CAN rev that high. If my car ever gets to rev that high (safely) i'm sure i'd invest in a Mach1 guage cluster :drool: :hail2:

Ok i bought a cobra cluster and just put it in, and the gas gauge and engine temp gauge aren't working. I tried switching over the little chips on the bottom and it still doesnt work. The original gauge still works. Does anyone have a clue what the problem could be?

Enter Username said:
They net about as much as your bullit gas cap.

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: . Nice work by the way! This will work especially well for us heathens north of the border. There are no white faced gauges that come primary in KPH, everything is MPH. now we have an option instead of looking on the tiny numbers on an MPH speedo. Thanks man!