Installed 99 PI motor with cams and headers

Well I've put about 70 miles and 15 bucks worth of gas on the new motor. Its running so rich lol. The exhaust burns my eyes :( Couple questions. When I accelerate a little, and I hit 2500 RPM I get a nice rasp. My friend said thats the overlap in the cam or whatever makin that noise. My other friends X pipe doesn't do it and as the same setup. I LOVE the sound lol. The crower stage 2 cams, pretty much dont lope at all. =/ Totally not what I was expecting. It idles nice. I guess I was looking more for something that the tach is shaking and the car can hardly run, somethin like a 5.0 cam. But thats not the case. So the mods are

99 PI engine - 04 Cobra Clutch - 01 Cobra flywheel - BBK Longtube Headers - BBK O/R X pipe - Mac Catback - K&N FIPK - Crower Stage 2 cams - Comp Valve springs - Pro 5.0 Shifter - I think thats it. But DAMN. Its been wet out so the power isnt all that much fun cuz 3rd gear is the only gear it'll SOMETIMES get traction in. I was going up a hill around 3k rpm in 3rd gear and floored it, as soon as it hit 4k the tires broke loose.

As far as power I dont know what to think too much. I did a few third gear pulls, floored from 3k on flat ground and would watch the tach a little and as soon as it hit 4k instant power surge, and then 5 was crazy. 5 is where it pulls hardest I think. But doesn't shut down up to 6. Next thing I know im going 110 lol. At the track ofcourse.

• Sponsors (?)

Well some roads were finally dry so I had to take it out. lol Oh my gosh. That FLYS. 3rd gear 60 to 120 runs are insane. As soon as I get into 4th and get on the gas at all I see im already at 120. I finally did a few 1st 2nd and 3rd gear runs. 1st the car just shoots up in the front end, and then 2nd gear comes and the back end just whips out sideways and then i hit 3rd and the tires break loose again. It was a little bit damp out, but i floored it in 3rd and shifted into 4th and the tires broke loose. I was smilin so much lol. I'm not happy with the lope, it doesn't do enough =/ lol

Turbo92PGT said:
Well some roads were finally dry so I had to take it out. lol Oh my gosh. That FLYS. 3rd gear 60 to 120 runs are insane. As soon as I get into 4th and get on the gas at all I see im already at 120. I finally did a few 1st 2nd and 3rd gear runs. 1st the car just shoots up in the front end, and then 2nd gear comes and the back end just whips out sideways and then i hit 3rd and the tires break loose again. It was a little bit damp out, but i floored it in 3rd and shifted into 4th and the tires broke loose. I was smilin so much lol. I'm not happy with the lope, it doesn't do enough =/ lol

too much lope makes cams less effective power wise. & again, you better take it easy on the car before the tune. or else, you're gunna be buying a new motor, especially since it's running lean

Sorry! My post was unclear. The engine is used but only has 17K on it. Very clean inside. About 150 miles on the engine since its been in my car now. Sorry for being unclear. Put some castrol syntec in it and everything. The top end is badass. I wish there was more low end though. But its good, no doubt. Looking into an Xcal2 for a little help with a tune, im pretty excited. And yes i'll get it dynoed one day.

Andy

PS Crower stage 2 cams - part # 62801
Intake Duration : 269* - lift .560
Exhaust Duration 278* - lift .571
Lobe separation - 114*

They make good power but dont hurt the idle much at all. Car hasn't died once.

Turbo92PGT said:
Sorry! My post was unclear. The engine is used but only has 17K on it. Very clean inside. About 150 miles on the engine since its been in my car now. Sorry for being unclear. Put some castrol syntec in it and everything. The top end is badass. I wish there was more low end though. But its good, no doubt. Looking into an Xcal2 for a little help with a tune, im pretty excited. And yes i'll get it dynoed one day.

Andy

PS Crower stage 2 cams - part # 62801
Intake Duration : 269* - lift .560
Exhaust Duration 278* - lift .571
Lobe separation - 114*

They make good power but dont hurt the idle much at all. Car hasn't died once.

i'll say one more thing for your knowledge. when i did my cams i stayed out of it for a while & it's a good thing.......when i went to MPH to get the tune my a/f was at 18:1. incase you don't know, that's waaaaay lean & i could have popped my motor by getting on it. just be careful

You guys are scarin the **** out of me lol. I dont drive the car much, but the other day I did get onto it pretty hard. I'll be more careful. I know its not the best idea but man, i couldn't NOT get on it. Especially once I did. lol Then it just kept saying FLOOR me. =D I'm sure you guys could imagine how that might be. After a good 14.7:1 tune ;) lol Or whatever

Turbo92PGT said:
You guys are scarin the **** out of me lol. I dont drive the car much, but the other day I did get onto it pretty hard. I'll be more careful. I know its not the best idea but man, i couldn't NOT get on it. Especially once I did. lol Then it just kept saying FLOOR me. =D I'm sure you guys could imagine how that might be. After a good 14.7:1 tune ;) lol Or whatever

resist the urge or your motor is gonna be in for some serious hurt. I don't understand your logic... you spend all that money on a new motor, stage 2 cams and what not but you wont take the time to dyno tune it to make sure the thing doesnt explode... The xcal2 shouldnt be an after thought, especially with those upgrades, it definitely should have been in your possession the day your car was back together

I pulled the plugs, they're black and smell like gas. So your lean logic is wrong. It should have bought the xcal a long time ago, and sorry i dont have tons of money lyin around for an expensive dyno tune. The gas mileage is horrible too. Worse than before. So that leads me to believe the car is rich rather than lean. Maybe I'm wrong? lol

im just saying, if you were going to do the swap you probably should have saved up the extra $ so you can get a fully dyno tune... the wideband O2 reading would tell you if you're lean or rich, then professionals can make adjustments to make sure your car is 100%. to me, that would be money well spent

Plugs are black = you are rich. Too much fuel. Get it tuned ASAP better that it's rich than lean. Rich is at least the safe way to be. If you think it's powerful now, wait till it's running right with a proper air/fuel ratio. It may even lope more once tuned. You're timing might be off some too.

Buying an Xcal 2 on friday when I get paid =) I cant wait for this bad boy. I'm going to buy a wide band oxygen sensor as well so I can data log and tune it, I think i'll richen up the whole RPM range first and then go floor it to data log, just incase.

BREAK IT IN!! lol I no u wanna go hard on it.. but break it all in and get a tune. Just be careful. :p Thats an awesome setup. Hows the pro 5.0 shifter? I bet its niceeeeee

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
(after the break in and tune) :)

The engine is going to run rich because the computer is freaking out from all of the extra air (from the cams) coming in so it's just dumping fuel in. You need to get the ECU flashed/tuned for your new mods. You will also notice a big increase in power as well. Ans as what was said before it is better to run rich rather than lean obviously but running too rich can be bad also and cause of carbon build-up in the engine. I would say sea-foam the combustion chambers right before you take it in to have it tuned.

I've always heard two stories on breaking in an engine. Granted the block does not need to be broken in because it has 17K miles on it. But I have heard on a break-in process you should only use dyno oil and do bunch of 40 to 60 mph hard pulls letting the engine decellerate and just repeat that then go change the oil etc. There is much more to the process but I do not feel like typing. That is so the rings get a good seal.

Then there is the other method I have heard and thats where you drive it easy and change the oil obsessively also. Either way this really doesn't apply to him because there is nothing to break in since the engine already has 17K miles on it.

The pro 5.0 shifter is pretty sweet. I put a stock handle on it though, i didnt like how far i had to reach to shift that thing. But the combination is bad ass. Ya i was told there was no break in with the cams and since the engine is used no rings to seat or anything. I will take it easy and haven't really driven it much lately. Do you really think theres going to be a big difference in power with the tune? I'm excited. More power isn't really needed with it though haha. Seriously its going to get me in lots of trouble if im not careful. Those poor nitto drag radials haha. they just bake off. cuz its so cold outside, at the track they'll hook im sure.

anyways i appreciate the help! keep postin