Installed Distributor And Car Won't Stay Running

gnx547

Sep 26, 2006
On my 95 GT with a new short block, I installed the distributor and with number 1 at tdc and I adjusted the timing mark on the balancer to 10 degrees. Installed the distributor with rotor facing number 1 on the cap. Started the car and it ran for a few secs and died and it won't stay running. Any ideas? I'm thinking the distributor is off a tooth on the rotor. I marked a dot on the base for number 1 from the cap and the left rotor blade is on the dot it but not in the middle. Does it have to be dead on the spot? From the pic is the rotor position off?

2coirk3.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Hmm, if it started at all, then I think the timing's in the ballpark (I've been 180 degrees out before by accident, depends on how you line up the cam gear, and it definitely didn't start). You'll want to use a timing light however to set it properly, you can do this even while cranking if it won't start. To me it sounds like it might be a fueling issue, if it only runs for a few seconds after priming. You might hook up a fuel pressure gauge to see what's going on there.