Installed KB, Low #'s?

Bundmar

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2002
Ontario, Canada
Just installed my KB 9PSI intercooled with there big tube kit and got it dynoed, only made 360RWHP and 370RWTQ.
why are my numbers so low, I was expecting closer to 400RWHP.
do I need to dyno tune it?
can u overwrite the KB supplies chip?

• Sponsors (?)

My 01 GT dyno'ed at 365. It was also pinging at WOT. Kenne Bell tried to fix the pinging with another chip with less timming, but it also pinged. I had to have a custom tune to get the car to run right. The man who did the tune said it had a lot of timming in it (23).
How did the install go? Did the MAF modifications fit with the instructions for a 2001 Mustang? I had to use the instructions for the 2000.

Hope I helped.

you need to post you air fuel and what dyno it was.

Do you have the factory maf or aftermarket?

you should most likely call kenne bell. They will send another chip if the first one is off. email them the dyno with the air fuel info and that should help them.

rod01gt said:
My 01 GT dyno'ed at 365. It was also pinging at WOT. Kenne Bell tried to fix the pinging with another chip with less timming, but it also pinged. I had to have a custom tune to get the car to run right. The man who did the tune said it had a lot of timming in it (23).
How did the install go? Did the MAF modifications fit with the instructions for a 2001 Mustang? I had to use the instructions for the 2000.

Hope I helped.

Was the 365 dyno with the Kb chip or the custom one?

rod01gt said:

Hope I helped.

Sorry to hijack: I think you should be able to run 23*timing if your A/F is right (11.8) I am, with no pinging, on 93 octane, 9psi, on a less efficient Eaton.

Bundmar said:
it was a dynojet,
360RWHP with KB supplied chip
air fuel was 11:1
I have the KB 90MAF with there big tube kit and 75MM TB
should I get a custom tune?
car still feels strong

IMO 11:1 is rich so some power is available by leaning it out somewhat.
Custom dyno tune would yield some gain dialing in A/F and timing ,specific to your set-up which includes all of your mods.

Car is a blast to drive instant power, hard to keep straight and 1st gear is instant. THe intimedating whine under full throttle is amazing
well Ill try to get a hold of ken and maybe custom tune to get more power.
cant wait till getting home from work and taking it out again

What were your baseline #'s.

It's the gains that count IMO.

Find an experienced local tuner (with SCT experience)...it'll save you serious time versus the mail order deal. A bit more peace of mind too...knowing things can be tweaked in a relatively short period of time.

FYI...we had a 9psi kit up here pull around 355rwhp on a dynojet...but it had a stock exhaust. The car owner was still very pleased...I guess that's what happens when you bolt on 135rwhp.

edit: oops..I said 255 :bang:

Mine is going in today for the same set up. But after doing research and following the threads here, and on other forums, I made the decision to go with a custom chip to start with. I have talked to numerous people who have had to have KB send them multiple chips to get it correct. Everyone I talked to always was very happy with their customer service, and finally got it correct in the end. I though, do have the time to be going back and forth to the shop four or five times to get it correct. Sure it could be dead nuts on the first time, but I'm not taking any chances. I want to drop it off, have them tune it on the dyno, pick it up in a couple of days and be done.

I have an '03 S281, and am hoping for numbers like 00s281sc368.