Installed new engine wont start

YELLOW 94

Founding Member
Nov 19, 1999
Rio Rancho NM
I just finished installing my new engine. I tryed starting it and it will not fire up. I have spark, removed the spark glug wire and the spark is jumping across to the plug. So I know I have spark. I have fuel, depressed the shrader valve and fuel came out. Also gauge reads 38 psi. I havent started the car in six years, the gas is six years old and car has a half tank. After six years can the gas go bad and not allow the car to start.

When trying to start the car it will back fire not out the exhaust but like near the header. Im frustrated like f***. I searched about the ground strap from the engine to the frame, I do not have one will this cause the engine not to start.

Please help.

later
Orlie

• Sponsors (?)

You could not only have bad gas but some moisture in your fuel as well.

I'd try and pump your gas tank empty, put some new gas in it and use a water removing additive to your fuel and see what happens.

The injectors might be coated in varnish. I'd use a noid light across a given injector just to be sure you have electrical injector pulse. If you do, you could try starting the car on ether. If it wants to catch, I'd pull the injectors and lines and clean them.

If the engine cranks, the motor to chassis ground should be alright.

Good luck.

I installed new 42lb injectors. I just put 5 gallons of good gas to mix with the old gas. Still did not start. After trying to start the car just know the headers are getting warm, so Id say the gas is being burned in the cylinder. Any other ideas.

later
Orlie

Are you sure your timing is close? Proper firing order? It's easy to accidentially use a Non-HO order.

The dizzy being 180* out can also cause almost exactly what you're describing. I'd very much look into that.

Good luck.

Sounds like the timing is off.....

Pull the #1 plug, put your finger over the plug hole, rotate the motor till you feel it blow off. Turn the balancer to TDC, (it should be fairly close when you feel it blow off), drop the dist in, pointing at #1, button it all back up and try to fire it....

When installing the dizzy correct me im wrong. Does the rotor need to align with the number one spark plug wire on top of the dizzy. Also the number one cylinder should be at tdc on the compression stroke. Is this correct.

later
Orlie

So this might sound dumb, but how can the dizzy be 180 out. Its been so long since i messed with this car ive kinda forgotten.

later
Orlie

When people use the finger method to feel if the #1 cyl is on the compression stroke sometimes they still mistake it for the exhaust stroke. If you had #1 at TDC on the exhaust stroke and point the rotor to the #1 spot your timing will be 180 degrees off.

In that case you just take your rotor and turn it 180 degrees.

Having the dizzy off even slightly can make the car seem like it will NEVER start. Rick got mine going but sounded dead at first till we got the dizzy just right, lol.

The gas? UGHHH pump that $hit out of there and put new in. Mixing it with old is asking for it in mho

She lives after 6 years, I was ofF on the timing. Thanks for the help.

Now I have an exhaust leak on the passenger side header to the hpipe. Installed new bbk shorty headers, man these headers are not that great. I was trying to tighten up the h-pipe tryed to seal the leak 3 times. Finally the stud broke off now I have to remove the header which sucks. The stud is into the header seems to be #ucked up on the threads, tryed to remove it with vise grips put in stuck. Im thinking about saying #uck it and order some lond tubes, but im just talking after a many beers. Just really frustrated. Any way thanks for the help.

later
Orlie