installed stewart wp(pulley problems)

chaos254

Founding Member
Jul 27, 2002
NJ
So I just finishing up my stewart wp install and I noticed an issue with the water pump pulley hitting the harmonic balancer. I run ASP underdrive pullies but I've never had a problem when running the stock water pump. I'm not sure what the issue is because the stewart pump looks exactly like the stock unit. Anyone else run into this problem when swapping to the stewart water pump?

I'm assuming the stock pulley would work because its smaller. I'd like to keep the ASP waterpump on and not have to swap back to stock especially since I don't have the stock pulley.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a Stewart WP and I haven't had that problem. However, I'm using the stock pullies. The Stewart WP is supposed to be the same dimensions as the stock WP, but they use better components. Are you sure you got the 94-95 WP?

I thought it was supposed to be the stock dimensions as well, thats why I went with it. If I had known I would have pulley interference issues I would have went with a ford racing pump. The stewart pump looks exactly like the stock unit that I have, the box says 94-95. I don't know how to tell if its the correct one other than that. Does the fox unit even fit our vehicles?

Since the ASP underdrive pulley wasn't an issue before the Stewart WP must be different. For interference to now occur the WP shaft must be lower than the stock piece. It's quite possible that the Stewart WP fits without issue when stock pulleys are used.

I emailed stewart and they said they do not recommend using underdrive pullies on their water pump. I might try using water pump shims that I found @ summit racing but if anyone has a stock water pump pulley available, please PM me. thanks