installing a balancer

• Sponsors (?)

is you stock bolt long enough to grab some thread and tighten it down? that will pull it back on there... you could always get a longer bolt i assume and get it started if the stock one wont reach... then swap to the wtock one once its on there.

I would highly suggest just renting the installer from advance auto type place, drawing it on with the bolt is asking for trouble, been there broke that 15 years ago. Not fun or pretty, dont be a hack

with my stock one i just lubed up the seal lip, mating surface, n put some on the threads of the crank bolt, then lined it up with the keyway, making sure the seal wasnt being peeled back, just kept tightning it with a ratchet n tightened iit to like 70ftlb. (put it in gear to prevent the motor from turning)

sbftech said:
I would highly suggest just renting the installer from advance auto type place, drawing it on with the bolt is asking for trouble, been there broke that 15 years ago. Not fun or pretty, dont be a hack
Very wise words here.

There seem to be two HB tools at the parts stores (that I've seen). One is 15 bucks to borrow and is just a removal tool. Or you can get the 70 dollar version (I borrowed one from CSK) which will help with removal and installation.

Good luck.

no need to rent I have a couple of em, both a pullerand installer, just dont get the part on how it's supposed to install with it. im a tech too, but yeah, this would be the first time I've had trouble putting one back on, I thought there was a step im missing..

I got it on though, I just did it by hand with the stock bolt and a long @ss ratchet. it looks like it's sitting just fine on the seal, the pulley is aligned with the others and everything seems in place ( talking about an Mustang 83 5.0 HO btw). any pics I can compare with? guys? any? :SNSign:

the installer threads into the crank, then typically there is a bearing that slide onto the installer, then a nut behind the bearing, you use a wrench to hold the installer that is threaded into the crank and another wrench to turn the nut against the bearing thus installing the balancer.

Attachments

• 4920.jpg
    4920.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 41