Installing Cam, I have some questions

duo_z

Jan 24, 2009
I'm installing my cam from comp cams into my 289 and I can't seem to loose the end play in it. Is there supposed to something that goes in before the cam? I have the cam, thrust plate, timing sprocket, and fuel pump lobe. What am I missing? Also no matter how far I pull the came forward the lobes seem to be offset from the center of the lifter bores, is that correct? Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

OK, I went and checked my old cam and the c-spacer was still stuck to it. Which means that the timing set I got with my cam kit is wrong. The cam sprocket has a kind of built in spacer, and its to thick. Would I be able to just use a different cam plate?

OK, I went and checked my old cam and the c-spacer was still stuck to it. Which means that the timing set I got with my cam kit is wrong. The cam sprocket has a kind of built in spacer, and its to thick. Would I be able to just use a different cam plate?

Nope, you'll wreck the engine. Just get the right cam gear, use the spacer, and you'll be fine. The gear with the integral spacer requires a different cam thrust plate, and Ford deliberately used a different bolt pattern to prevent accidentally mixing the parts and ruining your engine. IIRC, that was all part of Change Level 7, which was a biggie.

What it boils down to, is no matter what block or camshaft you are going to use, you have to select the right mix of cam gear/timing set (either uses or does not use the C Spacer),thrust plate (With appropriate style screws or bolts), dowel pin, camshaft bolt and fuel pump eccentric (1 or 2 piece).

I checked the cam shaft and its just like the original part. The cam plate, c-spacer, and fuel pump eccentric are the original parts. I ordered a new timing set today, hopefully its the right part. Thanks for the help.

P.S. Anyone need a Comp Cams timing set?