Installing MGW Shifter, CANT remove STOCK shifter

• Sponsors (?)

I remember how much of a bitch it was to get off. The best thing I could say is smack it REALLY hard for it to get off, dont be afraid to break anything as long ur hitting the base or the bottom of the old lever.

i remember when i had to help my friend his wouldnt budge either so we went to kragen and bougt a rubber mallet so we wouldnt be afraid to hit it hard. after a couple hits it poped loose. get a rubber mallet and bang it it will come out. make sure you get a razer and scrape off the old gasket then clean it up before applying the new gasket.

finally got it off..used my rubber mallet and bang the hell out of it..lol..that thing came loose in 30 seconds. The plastic cup piece attached to the stock shifter, i should transfer that over to my mgw right?

Yeah man, they really silicone the **** out of those shifters from the Ford House. Mine went in for tranny work and they ended up giving me a whole new tranny even though I just needed some synchros. They put my Pro 5.0 on the new tranny and I swear they double siliconed the hell out of it. I went to install an MGW later on, and man I tugged and banged on that thing for over an hour and it wouldn't move. so I ended up getting a crow bar, got it up under one of the corners enough and popped it right off, no problem.

But anyway, you will love that MGW. It is honestly the best shifter i've ever experience :nice:

It still surprises me when I read these threads about people not being able to get the stock one off.

I sat there and stared at mine at the step which says to rock it back and forth, then just grabbed the handle and pulled it really hard to the left. It popped right off. Took 5 seconds maybe. Rocking is worthless.. you're trying to break the sealant Ford puts on there, and rocking it is like trying to demolish a brick wall with a spoon, versus using a sledgehammer. Just grab the thing and pull!

Congrats that you got it though. :)