Insurence Fraud...

Status
Not open for further replies.

admstng

Dec 12, 2003
I know i'm new here but this is totally hypathetical

You have a 5.0 stang. You have a 4 banger stang as well..

Now, why wouldn't you be able to take the vin number in the dash of the 4 banger and put it in the 5.0? go to your insurence company and DMV and insure it as a 4 cylender?? i know there's other places with the vin number on it, such as the frame and engine, but if a cop pulls u over, doesn't he just match up the vin on the reg with the one in the dash?

i'm 20 years old and not about to risk anything liek this even if it was feasible.. but it crossed my mind when i found out when i got a quote of $10,000/yr for basic/liablility...

so how wouldn't this work? and how would insurence company find out?

• Sponsors (?)

It will work. I know a few guys in my area that has done it. It is illegal but if you dont get caught i guess your ok. There are VIN # on alot of parts though, bumpers hatch door ect... But if your gonna keep the car i guess you would be fine.

Will it work? Depends on how you define "work". If you mean you can achieve insurance coverage at lower rates for a time, it may work. However, when you sign up for insurance you sign a piece of paper that says, basically, that you're telling the truth about your application and your car. If the insurance company finds out that you misrepresented the facts, you'll probably find yourself without coverage. This usually happens when an adjuster is investigating a claim. Nothing like needing to have your insurance company help you repair/replace yours, and then finding out your claim is denied and you've been canceled for intentionally lying on your application.

It's not worth the risk in my opinion, and it's simply not the right thing to do. Tell the truth - most of us learned it by kindergarten.

And the moderator will likely move this one as it's got nothing to do with engine tech.

I meant to post this in NON-technical.. sorry...

Thanks for your repies.. still curious to what other pplk think about this subject and if anyone "has a friend" who did it...

well first of all its not legal to do this and second not worth it. lets say your car gets stolen and you make a police report and file a claim to you insurance. Ok now you've got say 10 grand in just the motor. Well the police find your car stripped and burned out. Guess what all you get is the value of a 4cyl mustang which isn't much. In the end you out of thousands of dollars plus no stang.
Trust me I do this everyday for a living its no fun to watch. Also insurance fraud can be turned into a felony and thats no way to start your life.

You really don't need to hear from anybody's "friend" -- you've got the info you need to do the right thing.

Reminds me of the sailor that was experiencing certain "symptoms" a couple of weeks after an evening with a lady friend. Embarassed, he went to the ship's doc and said "Hey doc, I've got a friend that's got some "symptoms". Doc says "Well, lay your friend up here on the table and let's have a look at him."

my math says 833 per month

Uh i really find it hard to be at 10K a year for just bare bones insurance, if that is true you need not be driving a mustang and go get a 1973 ford truck worth 300 bucks, anyways my 2 cents DC

They quoted me at $6500 a year at first (Canadian), so with a few tickets and/or a wreck it wouldnt take much to get to $10g a year on insurance.

As for the insurance fraud.. people have gotten away with it, i've never heard of anyone getting caught with it either.

Just think, sure your insurance is cheap, but what happens when a cop pulls you over and knows damn well you have an 8cyl car... reads your 4cyl insurance.. a good cop would probably go a long way to screw you over. You would deserve it.

yea 10K/yr... I have 2 accidents, a DWI (i know i know..) and tickets for racing, wreckless driving and unsafe starts.. along with speeding in work zones, etc.. etc...

All this was done when i was 18, and i know i'm only 20 now but i have changed drastically and really realized what i screwed up (not to mention a hot 89' LX 5.0 convertable with the average mods done)... now i have finally earned enough $$ to buy another and really going to baby it...

*edit... 12 points on license... or 10 but the accidents "carry weight" or sumtin

Status
Not open for further replies.