Intake and crane 2030 a good combo?

JimTMich

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan
I picked up a 94/95 cobra intake and 65mm tb. Was thinking heads, but how about a cam instead. I want a no tune setup. I called ford and they suggested a cam in the 215 - 218 durration hi lift 540 and 112 lobe center. Then I called crane and said I wanted a cam for a stock motor with an intake and I wanted no computer troubles. The suggested the 2030. revs to 5500, 17"vac at 750rpm idle. intake 216 durration 533 lift 220 exhaust 544 lift 112 lobe center. Sounds like a good match. What do you think? anything better out there for a every day driver looking for torque? I though I might as well slip in hte cam while I have the intake off.

• Sponsors (?)

You probably aren't going to gain much with just a cam and no heads. The stock e7's just are not up to performing all that great for performance purposes. Not worth the work with the little gains you will see. But if you really want a cam check out the Steeda 19 supposedly it was designed for the 94/95 cars in mind (no computer problems).

wytstang said:
You probably aren't going to gain much with just a cam and no heads. The stock e7's just are not up to performing all that great for performance purposes. Not worth the work with the little gains you will see. But if you really want a cam check out the Steeda 19 supposedly it was designed for the 94/95 cars in mind (no computer problems).

but how are the gains from that cam, everyone recommends it, but i never seen any other words on it

igotyofire said:
but how are the gains from that cam, everyone recommends it, but i never seen any other words on it
They do??
I need to go find those posts!

It's a good "out of the box" cam, but as mentioned it is a waste of time and money to open the engine for JUST that.

Usually, it's best to mod the MAF, TB, and Intake together...then the heads and cam together.

For the money and effort, you will prolly have better results with some good RR's then "only" changing the cam..

RC

The stock cam is the best daily driver, no-problems cam out on the market. With that cam, my guess is that the stock valves will float and the springs may possibly even bind.

I wouldn't waste the ~$350 bucks on a camshaft install. Buy a set of cheaper GT40 or GT40P heads and a set of head gaskets. You should see 260 RWHP with the stock cam. Get a bigger MAF and you could be seeing something in the 270 neighborhood.

Joe