Intake elbows?

• Sponsors (?)

It is my belief the way the TFS is designed is better than the Edel elbow

I know the TFS has a larger opening but if you compare the two

It looks like the TFS would flow air better even if they were the same size

In no way am I saying not to go to a Fox setup as Rick has talked about :nono:
but
I have yet to see any data I would call valid on the gain the Fox setup

Yes ... I've seen the blower boys say it was a help :)
but
I'm still waiting for some data that proves :nice:
It causes a gain of airflow on a typical NA street combo :shrug:

Grady

Grady beings you bring up the fact they are made different if i pull my motor and still have the edel I'll take a look at that. I never even looked to see if they were made any different. I just figured they were the same just bigger openings and threw it on there. Def something to take a look at for the hell of it.

Grady beings you bring up the fact they are made different if i pull my motor and still have the edel I'll take a look at that. I never even looked to see if they were made any different. I just figured they were the same just bigger openings and threw it on there. Def something to take a look at for the hell of it.

A couple of years ago, we were talking on here about this very issue :)

One fellow said just as I did above. After asking for more info ... he came back
and said he had looked at the TFS and Edel elbow side by side and told how
much better the TFS looked like it would flow air.

He later came back with some detailed pics of each elbow and in looking at
those pics I could see ... the TFS seemed to offer less restriction.

Of course ... I am running the Edel elbow :bang: :rlaugh:

Grady

how would I switch to a fox set up? I thought about it but I do not know what to do with the cables for gas pedel and cruse.:shrug:
would I just need a fox cold air intake?(seems to make sense)
Is there walkthroughs somewhere that lists what to buy or install tips?
thanks

I do believe the elbow is the biggest restriction in the air tract when talking about the elbow compared to the throttle body.

If you are pushing some nice power, possibly in the 400+ rwhp range, a fox throttle body swap may be of some use.

Or one could possibly port out the TFS elbow:shrug:

Ive seen the gains on boosted cars, but I do not have any data for the NA combo's although my gut tells me it definitely can't hurt, plus it could save some money... that elbow is pricey.

Every bend hurts airflow and power seen this first hand on the dyno when making adjustments on a class race car (where every little bit counts). You would be surprised how good a 4" rubber elbow and a 4" piece of straight pipe do over ANY of the aftermarket CAI or Power Pipes;)

To convert over all you need is a FOX EGR (optional), TB, Cable and bracket, TPS, you can reuse your IAC is most cases or you can switch to the Fox IAC. Then you can either fab your own pipe or use an aftermarket piece. If you want to retain your crusie control you need the fox CC cable..

Ive seen the gains on boosted cars, but I do not have any data for the NA combo's although my gut tells me it definitely can't hurt, plus it could save some money... that elbow is pricey.

Every bend hurts airflow and power seen this first hand on the dyno when making adjustments on a class race car (where every little bit counts). You would be surprised how good a 4" rubber elbow and a 4" piece of straight pipe do over ANY of the aftermarket CAI or Power Pipes;)

To convert over all you need is a FOX EGR (optional), TB, Cable and bracket, TPS, you can reuse your IAC is most cases or you can switch to the Fox IAC. Then you can either fab your own pipe or use an aftermarket piece. If you want to retain your crusie control you need the fox CC cable..

Hey Rick

I'm with you on everything you said here :nice:

You got a lot of knowledge Rick and I don't want to make it seem I'm
questioning it or your good credibility you have with us here :nono:

Where I have a problem with the Fox TB Conversion is .....
How peeps quickly hop on what seems to be the ....

"Of Course it flows better" ... band wagon

I will be the first to say I don't know for certain :nono:

I do wanna point out if things are kept equal in each setup .......
The Fox setup seems to offer a more severe bend than the SN setup

For my 95 GT I run a .........
65mm FMS tb and a ProM 80 meter on a section of 3" pvc pipe
and
Of course ... a elbow to my RPM intake
with
No bends of any kind

Now ... If I did the same thing with the Fox setup ......
the path from filter to tb outlet would be no different

other than

No elbow would be present
but
The rubber tb/intake coupler is at a more severe angle of bend

To my way of looking at it :shrug:
that more severe bend will offer more restriction to the flow :scratch:

Also ... The more severe angle no longer allows me to place my meter/filter
in the cool air of the inner filter without using an additional bend :(

I know all I have to go on to make my opinion here is just an observation
so
I can only say ... by looking at pics of each setup ... if I did the Fox thing .......

I think it would offer more hinderance to the flow ....
for my particular application :shrug:

Grady

I went with the TF elbow. I still needed to make a bend to get to the front corner of the car. I personally couldn't justify running all new cables and swapping sensors. Plus it looked like a smoother airflow design as the air entered the intake. Rubber connectors holding two pipes together look like a great place for turbulence. Using the 94-95 setup keeps the rubber connectors just that much further away from the opening of the intake. :shrug:

Intake - elbow - T/B - rubber connector

vs

Intake - T/B - rubber connector - elbow

In theory this could give it a bit more time to smooth the turbulence out.

I hope to have data soon on the swap as I just purchased a complete fox TB setup with a 75mm accufab TB and it will be going on my car. I too want to see once and for all what this swap is worth on a NA car.

If you are getting rid of the elbow along with the throttle body, it is not going to show what the throttle body gave by itself:( With Accufab you do not get much of a choice:)

I expect a decent little gain getting rid of the elbow and all:nice:

I still believe that the elbow is the most restrictive part, but it is good for most 302's in my opinion, especially if you port it.

I've been hoping a Tweecer user would
Do a Fox setup with ......

The same application of drawing cool air from inside the fender
and
Using the same pipe size
and
Using the exact same tb/meter

The differences would then be .......

The device used to make the bend at the tb
The angle of the bend at the tb
A bend near or at the fender hole

We would then be able to see any difference in airflow at WOT