intake/head combos

If I was going to buy a 94-95 cobra intake manifold, upper and lower, which would be the better heads to go with it as far as power increases, still making my ride smooth, best value, and not totally killing my gas mileage. Would it be the GT-40p's, the GT-40X's, Ported stock heads, or regular GT-40's ?

• Sponsors (?)

All of my friends that went with a GT-40 head ended up being upset that they didn't spend the money to get something a little better like AFR, Edelbrock or Trick Flow. Since you're spending all that energy digging into the engine, why not do it right?

The guys at Fox Lake said they have seen alot of GT-40X heads that flow less then 200cfm, but if you want to go with a Ford head, then more power too you.

The edelbrock performer flows more than the cobra intake. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the aftermarket heads, but I wouldn't go with the GT40s-look at the flow #s. I went with the AFRs and a ported Cobra. They all make good power so go with the best deal.

I heard on Hardcore that the 165's got revised, but I forget the exact details. However, the flow sheet is still the same on their website. Why spend $600 on a set of ported stockers when you can score a set of TFS or Eddy's for close to a grand. Do it once and don't waste your money.

Jake

Ok, so the GT-40s are out of the question, unless I can find a good, cheap used set. and i cant afford AFRs right now :bang: Now, how much would it cost to port stock heads? how much of a HP increase would I see, If I bought E-brock, how much HP increase. And is the low-end torque good on either one of those options

1994Vib.RedGT said:
Ok, so the GT-40s are out of the question, unless I can find a good, cheap used set. and i cant afford AFRs right now :bang: Now, how much would it cost to port stock heads? how much of a HP increase would I see, If I bought E-brock, how much HP increase. And is the low-end torque good on either one of those options
I paid nothing to do mine and my car runs consistent high 8's in the 1/8th mile on plain old Dunlop radials. Dare I say faster than a lot of guys with high dollar heads. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, you could always send them to Thumper (thumper460) to do for you. He's our resident Iron head expert and has been doing this for a long time. 12-second timeslips are not unheard of with ported heads and a well put together combo. That being said, GT-40's should not be out of the question. Peak flow figures are great, but they don't tell the whole story. You can build a very quick car with GT-40's!

Here's a link to his site.
http://www.thumperoforangepark.com/

SuperDust22 said:
Link? I need to see this.

Dustin

Summit has discount codes once in a while for 10% off. I paid $935 for my TW heads but that was 3 years ago.

I do think GT40 and GT40p's are great budget heads especially with the right cam. darkpony from corral made 299hp/325tq with un touched P heads, cobra intake and an AFM B25 cam. The under the curve was insane. Look for a summit discount code and buy either a TW or an edelbrock head. I have friends with all these heads and we all runs good.

Gearbanger 101 said:
I paid nothing to do mine and my car runs consistent high 8's in the 1/8th mile on plain old Dunlop radials. Dare I say faster than a lot of guys with high dollar heads. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, you could always send them to Thumper (thumper460) to do for you. He's our resident Iron head expert and has been doing this for a long time. 12-second timeslips are not unheard of with ported heads and a well put together combo. That being said, GT-40's should not be out of the question. Peak flow figures are great, but they don't tell the whole story. You can build a very quick car with GT-40's!

Here's a link to his site.
http://www.thumperoforangepark.com/

Dude...there are plenty of people running high 8's in the 1/8 with stock heads and cam. You don't need ported stockers to do that.

Jake