intake/head combos

• Sponsors (?)

Gearbanger 101 said:
On stock radials with an 84.6mph trap speed.....show me.

I caught your ninja edit! :D

You never said anything about trap speed, but I'm sure snoozer is right up there. I ran high 8s (8.9) in the 1/8 with stock heads, cam, TB and MAF.......on radials.

Jake

Sneaky edit, huh. :D

Most stockers I've seen have run anywhere from 9.4's to as high as 10.0. at around 78-80mph.

I also forgot to mention I ran them in a loaded, full weight LX with 75lbs worth of junk, stereo and just 3.55 gears out back.

I wasn't trying to get into a pissing match with anyone about my car, just sticking up for the guys running stock castings. Yeah AFR, Edelbrocks, and TF's are better all around, but they're still more money. And for the do it yourselfers like myself, I personally find it more satisfying to beat the guys with the mail order rides.

When it comes to heads don't waste time on the 99 cent specials. A set of Canfield heads don't run much more than any of the prementioned heads (except for the thumpers). There are plenty of other places to save money.

Kurt

If you're going through all of the time, effort, & money to do a headswap, spend a little extra money on some good alum. heads. If not, when you do get the heads you reall want you'll have to do the swap all over again. Get what you want the first time and do it once. Just my .02

revhead347 said:
When it comes to heads don't waste time on the 99 cent specials. A set of Canfield heads don't run much more than any of the prementioned heads (except for the thumpers). There are plenty of other places to save money.

Kurt
Let me get this strait, you consider Edelbrocks, AFR's and TFS heads 99 cent specials? But Thumper heads are fine? And I'm guessing that ported E7TE heads are junk, right.....Well what do you think thumper heads are?

I don't care for AFR heads. I think they are a complete rip off. Little performance gains for a lot of money. Twisted Wedges have come with the cheapest hardware available since Summit bought them. It's not a bad casting, but it could do with better hardware. Edelbrock heads are good quality, but for the price you could get a set of Canfields, so what's the point? I think ported E7TE heads are a great deal. Especially if you spend $20 on a book and port them yourself. You could have a decent set of heads for less than $100.

Kurt

Kurt what do you run for heads? What shot are you running?

To the original poster. My advice is to pick a goal that you want for your car performance wise. Whether it be dyno numbers, track times, or street fun and then get the head that will best suite that.

Jake

I chose Canfields, because I saw a large advantage in performance for not a whole lot more money. I'm running a 47 nitrous jet, with a 46 bypass jet. But I thought over it a little more, and I'm not sure a Cobra intake will take advantage of the better cylinder heads. So my best suggestion would be to try and find a used set of Edelbrocks.

Kurt

revhead347 said:
I don't care for AFR heads. I think they are a complete rip off. Little performance gains for a lot of money. Twisted Wedges have come with the cheapest hardware available since Summit bought them. It's not a bad casting, but it could do with better hardware. Edelbrock heads are good quality, but for the price you could get a set of Canfields, so what's the point? I think ported E7TE heads are a great deal. Especially if you spend $20 on a book and port them yourself. You could have a decent set of heads for less than $100.

Kurt
I can agree with that frame of reasoning. I guess some just have better luck with a company than others. There are dozens on this board who live and die by AFR's, but between yourself and Hairy Canary, it looks like I just found a couple of guys who wouldn't use them as a boat anchor. :D

revhead347 said:
I don't care for AFR heads. I think they are a complete rip off. Little performance gains for a lot of money.
Little perfomance, huh? They're just the best heads on the market....

I'll say it once and I'll say it again: AFR are THE BEST heads on the market, period - end of discussion. Not only are they the best, but they use the stock valve angles - something TFS and (I believe) Canfield don't do. They don't raise their ports for more efficiency like Canfield does, and they don't need special headers; something TFS does. Does Canfield? I'm not sure...

Quantify your reasoning. I'll bet you can't. I'll bet few can.

Joe

Joes95GT said:
Joe, Joe, Joe .... :nonono: You must have forgotten rule #1 of Internet Racing 101 -- thou shalt ignore the facts, and substitute with bluster.

I would agree with the argument that AFR heads are not the best "bang for buck" option, as you pay extra to get that last little bit of performance. But, if even by a slim margin, they are provably the best, when the definition of "best" is making the most power under the curve. That offends some people -- those who fail to understand that the definition of "best" differs from person to person. Such a simple concept.

Dave

Joes95GT said:
Little perfomance, huh? They're just the best heads on the market....

I'll say it once and I'll say it again: AFR are THE BEST heads on the market, period - end of discussion. Not only are they the best, but they use the stock valve angles - something TFS and (I believe) Canfield don't do. They don't raise their ports for more efficiency like Canfield does, and they don't need special headers; something TFS does. Does Canfield? I'm not sure...

Joe

I think you mean Qualify your reason. But anyone. I know 2 guys that bought AFR 165s. One guy put them in a Lighting, and the truck ran 1/10th slower. The other put them on a stang, and it picked a whopping 2/10ths. They are decent heads, but not for the money. TFS and Canfield heads change valve angles and exhaust ports to get more performance. That's what makes it a high performance head. A 17 degree head is limited. 21 degree heads just perform better. Canfield advertises a high port design, but both TFS heads, and Canfields work with factory height headers. If you want to see what head is the best look at the competitors in NMRA. Almost every single top ten runner was using either old TFS hiports or Canfields, until they took them off the approved cylinder head list. AFR 220 heads make huge hp numbers, but they want more money for that than a Canfield, and it is no where near a Canfield in performance.

Kurt