intake/head combos

I'm running a set of Canfields on stock height headers. You know nothing.

If you run the wrong cam with the wrong head, it's not going to get good power numbers. A Canfield head is designed to flow at high rpm with a bigger cam. If you run it on smaller cam against an AFR head that is designed for that size cam, then it kind of defeats the purpose. Benchracing out of magazines is a waste of time. Go out and see what people are winning races with. That's a much better indicator.

As far as flow numbers go, Canfield publishes there flow numbers at .500" lift, while just about every other manufacturer publishes at .700" lift. That is where some people are mislead by flow numbers.

Anyway, I realized that I might have recommended a head that is a little on the large side, and I changed my suggestion to the Edelbrock head.

• Sponsors (?)

LOL. The only thing Ed knows is that he's forgotten more than you know. :)

The 620 horse 347 you mention is pretty impressive, I must admit. However, if anyone has the money do build it, 620 horsepower out of an all-out-race 347 isn't something to brag too much about. When you've got 18:1 compression, 10,000 RPM valvetrain, 120 octane, solid roller cams, and 5.14 gears, it doesn't become all too impressive anymore.

Just remember, 65mm TB's are best. :D

Joe

revhead347 said:
I'm running a set of Canfields on stock height headers. You know nothing.

You are a hack then!

Why not just look in any header catalog and SEE what is what...

Some people will just never learn...
If you run the wrong cam with the wrong head, it's not going to get good power numbers.

No $hit buddy but WTF does this have to do with your cylinder head info???
A Canfield head is designed to flow at high rpm with a bigger cam. If you run it on smaller cam against an AFR head that is designed for that size cam, then it kind of defeats the purpose.

Wrong..

Better heads DO NOT NEED more camshaft. They can work with a less camshaft and still make power. It's how the package is designed.

High RPM applications need more camshaft, period. It's called "matching up a combination" but you must not know about that...

Get out of the MMFF and 5.0 magazine ads and see what is really happening out in the real world!
Benchracing out of magazines is a waste of time. Go out and see what people are winning races with. That's a much better indicator.

That's a joke right?

How many Heads-up races have you entered??
How many Heads-up races have you won??
How many Heads-up Championships have you won??

You speak from hearsay and NOT experience!

Where's your RECORD??? :owned:
As far as flow numbers go, Canfield publishes there flow numbers at .500" lift, while just about every other manufacturer publishes at .700" lift. That is where some people are mislead by flow numbers.

:bs:
Flow numbers are only an estimate on that day, on that bench, under those conditions. You need to test on the same day, with the same bench, with the same operator on the same set up fixtures to see what is what when you want to compare. Do you even own a flow bench??

Besides, if the Canfields need a 197 cc port to flow 265 at .500 and the AFR 185 heads do that with 183 cc, I know, I tested them both. Now, you tell me which is the better design head...
Anyway, I realized that I might have recommended a head that is a little on the large side, and I changed my suggestion to the Edelbrock head.

Guess you still can't grasp the FACT that the AFR heads are the superior cylinder head so you go to Edelbrock. Must be a Florida thing... :rlaugh:

Ed

final5-0 said:
Joe, Joe, Joe

There you go again, just stiring up the pot a little bit more !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Later
Grady

Actually, I heard on this very forum that if you take out the stock 60mm TB and the 19 lb injectors and swap in a Thunderbird 50mm TB and 14lb injectors you get more velocity and you can dyno a gain of 20rwhp/tq on an otherwise stock engine, I read this in MMFF so its obviously true. :nice:

Adam

Black95GTS said:
Actually, I heard on this very forum that if you take out the stock 60mm TB and the 19 lb injectors and swap in a Thunderbird 50mm TB and 14lb injectors you get more velocity and you can dyno a gain of 20rwhp/tq on an otherwise stock engine, I read this in MMFF so its obviously true. :nice:

Adam

Adam

That little trick only works if you have decals on your rear quarter windows :nice:

Later
Grady