Intake Install Hurdles/setbacks HELP!!

• Sponsors (?)

Seth5.0 said:
Ok , did anybody have EGR tube for sale , If somebody have that, send me PM

The original EGR tube frequently breaks when removing it because it's pretty thin-walled and rusts through after about 100k miles or so. My local ford dealership sells it for about $70, but 5.0 Resto sells it for $50.

PROBLEMS!!!

Okay, I've finished putting everything together.

Last night, before starting it, filled up the radiator with coolant. Leaked underneath tstat. Took it apart and found that the tstat had slid outta place. No big deal, reinstall it, same thing. Dad installed it today with a new gasket....no leak. YAY!!!

Continued filling the radiator, everything is fine. Start the car, smoke is everywhere but no leak from the tstat. Okay, fixed one problem found another. Big surprise. Ended up being a bunch of trash on top of the block. Blew it off with the airhose and restarted it. No more smoke and no leak. Yay!!!

Continued starting it. While the radiator was burping, I checked the timing. Right on 11 degrees. Perfect.

Start it again, steaming antifreeze poors out the top of the radiator. Upper hose is HOT. Fill it back up and start it again.....continues to steam and engine dies.

Start it again, engine dies and check engine light comes on. So now there is no leak and no smoke but coolant is boiling over the top and the engine wont idle and continues to die. This after about 5 or 6 starts and about 20 minutes of perfect idling. Anyone know what may be the cause?

I dont get it. :notnice:

Thanks guys!!
Chris

Well maybe it is just sensor or something. Make sure everything is hooked up including hoses and sensors like the ECT. Also when you first start the engine after having it drained, just run it with the rad. cap off until the stat opens. The coolant should then drop and you can pour more in until the bubbling stops. Make sure to keep an eye on the temp gauge. Dont let it get too hot. Sometimes when you install an intake the air flow can be changed enough that it will not idle or dies a lot. Mine died a lot after the intake install. Many times you must reset the idle. If you think this is the problem send me a PM and I will send you the directions on how to.

Yeah, all connections that I can remember disconnecting are intact, including the ECT. The radiator cap was off when I was burping the system. Thats when it erupted like Mount St. Helens. Before that tho, it did drop and I did pour more in.

The engine ran fine for quite a long time. Long enuf to get me thinking I had a trouble free install and could soon take it out on the street. Then, I started it, it would surge and then die. It did this like three times until I gave up.

What's this idle adjustment? Could it also be the timing? I'm so confused and pissed. :)

Chris

My thermostat was leaking in the same spot, then i realized my friend put the gasket in the wrong order. I just finished my tmoss lower install. I was thinking that you should try to run it just to get the thermostat to open then start to flush the radiator. I know I did have some idle issues with my car the idle was a little different from normal then I realized I hadnt plugged a sensor in. I could have sworn i did everything, you may also want to check all the hoses are plugged in. I realized it helps not to do it when your pissed, i got pissed and made some mistakes thats why my lower install took nearly 5 days of off and on work to get it right.

Okay, so I guess I figured out my problem. I forgot to plug the ACT sensor after removing the #1 spark plug and I forgot to plug in that small temp sensor to the right of the distributor. Now, at least so far, it seems to be running fine. Took it out and the CE light came on but may be an old code from the sensors. Ran fine but did not get into the gas so I cant tell the difference yet. I want to thank ALL of you for your help and input. You guys made a huge difference in how fast I got this done (5 days....lol). I'm hooking up my new 76mm C&L maf tomorrow as well. I'll keep you updated on how its all performing.

Chris