Intake manifold coolant fitting

Max Power

Jul 31, 2003
St Paul
As many of you know, when you put an aftermarket intake on a small block Ford, the 90 degree elbow that one of the heater core hoses goes to right behind the thermostat doesn't fit. The hole in the aftermarket intake is one size bigger.

While I had little problem finding a replacement that goes straight up, I am having trouble finding a 90 degree one.

Any advice on where to get one?

• Sponsors (?)

You need a threaded bushing. It fits the hole in the manifold and then is threaded itself to accept your original fitting. I just installed an Edelbrock Performer 289 and it came with said bushing, but you should be able to find one at the auto parts store.

LOL....

I had a brain fart and couldnt think of the name of teflon tape. I havent used the teflon paste yet. I have seen it on some intakes that I have bought. Seems like that stuff gets really hard and almost seizes the fitting in there. Have you ever had that problem? Of course, I am talking of the course of several years.

The paste does not glue things together. It is the sealant of choice when working on EFI fuel systems because little strings of it can't come loose and plug injectors like the tape can. I started using the paste about 10 years ago when I started working on the EFI systems and I have never looked back as the paste is superior to the tape. I even use it on head/intake bolts because not only does it seal it acts like a lubricant for accurate torqueing.

I also use the paste only, :nice: never did like screwing with that damn tape :bang: Never had any fitting seize in the intake either because of it. It's also handy on the water pump bolts too, some of the small block ones are open to the water jackets too. Used it on the drain & fill plugs on the Toploader 4 speed also. It's uses are endless.