Intake Manifold Question

Billson87

Nov 3, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I have a question regarding the intake manifold on my 03 GT. I apologize in advance, I really don't know much on this topic so bear with me. My mechanic told me there's a crack in the manifold, so I've been looking for (and researching) manifolds online. While browsing AmericanMuscle.com, I came across these two:

Replacement PI Intake Manifold w/ Gasket Set (Item# 100978)
Replacement Mustang PI Intake Manifold w/Gasket Set (99-04 GT)

and

Ford Performance Performance Improvement Intake Manifold w/ Heads (Item #24010)
Ford Performance 4.6L Performance Improvement (PI) Mustang Intake Manifold M-9424-P46 (96-04 GT w/ PI Heads)

I spoke with someone at American Muscle and here's what I was told:

Me: I have a question regarding intake manifolds

Me: I'm looking at item #100978 and #24010

Me: #24010 says it comes with PI heads, but the other does not

AmericanMuscle: 24010 is designed for use with PI heads, it doesn't actually come with the physical heads, though.

Me: So I'm replacing my stock intake manifold because it's cracked. If I purchase #100978 am I losing PI heads?

AmericanMuscle: The Ford Racing one (24010) is a PI style, so just like the factory 99-04 one, but stronger. The 100978 is more of an NPI style manifold

Me: Would you say the 100978 is comparable to the stock manifold I had in my 03 GT

AmericanMuscle: The 100978 is going to have less airflow since it is a NPI design. The 24010 is closer

Me: How much power would I be losing?

AmericanMuscle: Probably at least 15-20

Me: So even though the 24010 doesn't actually come with PI heads, but is really just designed for them, it still provides more power?

AmericanMuscle: Your car already has PI heads. PI heads were the stock heads in 99-04 GTs. It flows like stock, but is built stronger than the stock one, which tends to crack in the back.

So, will I really be losing that much power with the cheaper manifold (Item #100978)? Or is this just an attempt to try and get me to spend more money? Money is tight right now, so I don't want to spend more than I need to, especially considering my mechanic told me the labor is going to be at least another $350. On the other hand, I don't want my car to lose this much power, I'm simply looking for a comparable manifold to what came stock on my car. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Do not put the NPI intake on your car.

A: It will not line up with the intake ports correctly (shape wise) of the pi heads
B: It is the single biggest choke point of the npi engines.

Buy the ford racing PI replacement.