intake manifold questions

mustangking101

Feb 22, 2009
AZ
soon im thinking about buying a new upper and lower intake manifolds soon..
it seems like the ford explorer manifolds are pretty good.. first question would it actually give me around 15-20hp? second question will it even work on a 1994-1995 mustang with a little modifications or none at all? if yes to all these then sweet thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You'll gain about 7rwhp on a near stock 5.0 by swapping in an Explorer intake. The swap is easy but you'll need a throttle body adapter elbow if you're going to keep the '94-'95 TB/CAI set-up. Alternatively you could go for the Fox TB set-up but you'd probably also need the Fox throttle cable.

You can swap the Explorer manifold, but I think it's a waste of time.

You can easily save some more money and look for something like a used Cobra, GT40, or Trick Flow.

Chances are you will mod the car more down the road, at which point the Explorer intake will be a retriction.

You can swap the Explorer manifold, but I think it's a waste of time.

You can easily save some more money and look for something like a used Cobra, GT40, or Trick Flow.

Chances are you will mod the car more down the road, at which point the Explorer intake will be a retriction.

Thats interesting....seeing as you can get the explorer for $100 with today's economic times. And seeing as it flows as much as the cobra intake....

Im gonna bet if you outgrow the explorer, you also have outgrown the gt40 and cobra.

That is....unless you have some data to back up that the explorer is not as good :shrug:

I doubt u can find a gt40 for the price of an explorer....or even a cobra. So at that point i'd just go aftermarket. But when comparing a cobra vs. explorer...its a photo finish.

35ktxy9.jpg

That'a nice chart there Nate, I've been looking for something like that......for those times when people down the Explorer in favor of the Cobra. Looks like the Explorer made more power than the Cobra did.

That'a nice chart there Nate, I've been looking for something like that......for those times when people down the Explorer in favor of the Cobra. Looks like the Explorer made more power than the Cobra did.

yep the explorer intake is truly the same thing. :nice:

Edelbrock Performer II

on a stock motor? holy mismatch. Its a great intake, dont get me wrong. but that combo will be horrible.

Not a fan of the Edelbrock, as I've said before. I think it flows a fart better than a Cobra/Explorer, but it's certainly no better on a stock motor. And if you step up to different heads and cam, there are better intakes than the Edelbrock anyway. The Edelbrock is a hassle, and not worth dealing with.

Kurt

The regular Edelbrock Performer works great on stock or mildly upgraded heads and it fits like a glove. I love mine. Gained 15rwhp/7rwtq over the stock intake and torque was increased across the whole rpm range.

Kurt had a bad experience. Which happens with every high production company. I think you're safe to go with what people say in general.....and not just 1 opinion.

Swapping to Fox setup is completely not worth it at your level. I've yet to see conclusive proof that it gets you anything at all. For stock replacement applications anything will get you better. You may want to consider trick flow, as you the same lower is used for the streat heat and the track heat. You can buy the street heat now, then later on do the track heat upper and port the lower. I just don't see the point of doing the Fox TB switch unless you're using something that requires and Accufab 90 mm TB, like a high performance stroker.

Adam

You can port the lower and also grow as you add better flowing heads. There is a reason the gt40 is still sold even though it is 15+yrs old it makes for the most part the most trq...now putting a gt40 based intake on a stroker with 185/205 AFR heads or high ports is a bit of a poor choice but a ported gt40 lower and 165's/TFS TW heads is still a good match.

I am on the fence with the fox swap and 94-95 t-body almost every test is done going from a stock t-body to a 70mm+ fox t-body. I do not think I have ever seen numbers/results going from a 70mm 94-95 t-body to a 70mm fox t-body. To me if your looking for EVERY possible ounce of power maybe then but your probably not leaving much on the table either.

I cleaned up my exploder upper and had it powdercoated and it cleaned up REAL nice.

6422320077_large.jpg

6422320052_large.jpg

6422320075_large.jpg

6422320062_large.jpg

Kurt had a bad experience. Which happens with every high production company. I think you're safe to go with what people say in general.....and not just 1 opinion.

No, that's not it. The Edelbrock intake fits fine, and it makes good power. It's just that it needs special gaskets for the upper to lower, and you have to take that side plate off to take the upper off. It's an unnecesary hassle in my opinion, not when there are better intakes out there for about the same money. I can pull the upper intake off my Systemax in 6 minutes, and I can get the gaskets right up the street at the Autoparts store, not have to wait 2 days for them to come from Summit.

Kurt

blksn955.o;8037767 I am on the fence with the fox swap and 94-95 t-body almost every test is done going from a stock t-body to a 70mm+ fox t-body. I do not think I have ever seen numbers/results going from a 70mm 94-95 t-body to a 70mm fox t-body. To me if your looking for EVERY possible ounce of power maybe then but your probably not leaving much on the table either. [/QUOTE said:
I would really like to see some conclusive proof on this too. I think the throttle body on the SN's is a much better design, and the cable doesn't have plastic pieces that are prone to break. If it were really 20hp or whatever they claim, then I might consider doing the swap.

Kurt

I can tell you first hand that idle quality and throttle response both improved greatly with the switch to the Fox throttle body. Not only that, but fox T bodies are cheaper, they look cleaner in the engine bay and save you from having to buy an elbow adapter, which in every case I've seen, don't line up with the intake inlet for squat!

I spent about 30 bucks at a u pull it for the cable/bracket/TPS and plug/and everythin else I needed. Was well worth it to me and I'd recommend it regardless of the power gain.