intake pipe

texmirage

Dec 28, 2007
I have a 94 5.0. all stock. I found an intake to at a bone yard. I do know the brand but it's a hard chrome pipe that goes into the fender with a K&N filter in the fender area. It had a metal Air meter of some sort. I THOUGHT mine had that as well. Is this an upgrade from the stocker? will it do any good installing it on the car? I know i'm not giving you much to go on. sorry about that.

On a side note. I got a the intake w/out meter for and GOOD complete gear shift bezel w/ boot AND... I found a GOOD spedodrive gear (in the intrument cluster) that is in good working order, all for $20.

• Sponsors (?)

General all around rules of thumb about Cold Air Intake systems :)

It is a proven fact :Word:

You can make more horse power with cooler air :nice:

It stands to reason if you draw in the air from the fender ........
The air is most likely to be cooler than the air in the engine compartment

If it is hot outside ......
The gains from the CAI are not gonna much if anything at all :(

Now on a cool morning or cool night ... You can notice a difference ;)

The thinking about a metal pipe making the air hotter
or
A pipe like pvc keeping the air cooler

It just ain't all that valid when you consider how quick the air moves
through the pipe when you are WOT ... or in other words ... the ambient
temp of the engine compartment will effect things very little or none
at all.

You can make your own CAI with pvc and couplers you find at your
local hardware store for next to nothing if that kind of thing would
have any appeal to you :shrug:

I'd have to say most store bought or ebay specials would all fall in
the same camp and one would be six and the other half a dozen
so just pick one that gives you the best value
for the buck spent :D

Grady

IMO in our cars the intake tube and bos is a good design just the filter itself sucks. just get a k&n drop in and youll end up with beter than stock flow and still the clean neat look of the factory air box and tube inplace. A home built one with PVC and sharp bends is not gonna be good for airflow because of sharp bends....after market intake systems are usually aluminum in design but aluminin gets hotter than the factory rubber tube so hotter air going to intake...basically intakes cost a lot and dont offer much for most cars that already have a decent set up from oem...usually a k&n drop in works best overall..just my thoughts