Intake Question

I have a stock 95 GT with a stock motor and am looking to see if I can run a smaller intake to free up space under the hood such as sheet metal, spyder EFI without doing any modifications to the motor. Thanks for the help guys!

Tiffany

• Sponsors (?)

You could run a short runner intake, but you're going to lose a TON of low end power. Honestly, if you're looking for something that'll produce power similar to the stock EFI intake (actually more, since it'd flow more, but similar RPM characteristics), you may want to look into modifying a carb intake. Something like an Edelbrock Performer. It'd be a good amount of work with having to weld injector bungs in and fab a throttle body adapter off the carb flange. I don't know of any other way to accomplish what you're looking to do.

You could run a short runner intake, but you're going to lose a TON of low end power. Honestly, if you're looking for something that'll produce power similar to the stock EFI intake (actually more, since it'd flow more, but similar RPM characteristics), you may want to look into modifying a carb intake. Something like an Edelbrock Performer. It'd be a good amount of work with having to weld injector bungs in and fab a throttle body adapter off the carb flange. I don't know of any other way to accomplish what you're looking to do.

Thanks for your response! Much appreciated!

Tiffany

Taking the upper off really isn't too bad, aside from needing a new upper to lower gasket when you do it. The biggest pain is probably the EGR tube, but once that comes off, you can actually leave everything attached to the upper and just shift it over a bit to gain access to the driver's side valvecover. For what it's worth, I haven't had to go into my valvetrain again, since the first time I got it set up.

If Iam not mistaken the gasket is made of metal so that it reusable. Ive taken Myne off plenty of times and put it back on with no ill effects. :nice: just make sure you clean all surfaces. also note that the pass side valve cover is a PITA since the pipes that run to the heater core are right there on top of it.:mad:

Good luck. :nice:

I don't know if this idea will free up any room but it makes it possible to take off
the vc without messing with coolant.

See how I removed the hard line tubes :)

You just run two heater hoses in their place ;)

Grady

motor_upgrade.jpg

hey thanks for the idea. Im gonna do that . Those hard lines are a pain. Im new to the fuel injection game .Just trying to learn the do's and donts. Thanks again....

I forgot to mention ... you might have a restrictor in one of those formed
hoses connected to the heater core.

It slows down the flow of coolant through the heater core.

If you got one ... just move it over to one of the heater hoses. If by chance
its too small ... just improvise and make up one with whatever you got
laying around.

I made one once from an old screw in cast iron fitting with a hole drilled
in the center.

Grady