Interest in a simpler KarKraft functional hood scoop?

FalconGuy016

Oct 26, 2004
Northern VA
I saw somebody on these forums with an old KarKraft functional hood scoop conversion kit, seen here

http://www.mustangweekly.com/2000/august/newprdts/npp29.asp

The article explains it's installation and you can get a good idea of what it is. I was very interested in this kit since it used the stock hood and hood scoop rather than the mach1 system that replaces a bunch of stuff (and because of that, is very expensive)

However I saw that they were discontinued. I emailed KarKraft and got a response in one day, and it looks like if there is some interest it's possible to get these things rolling again. In fact, a simpler system with the stock airbox and no vacumme flaps, which I don't think is really neccessary anyways.

thank you for your interest.
we appriciate your interest in the ram air system. we have had a lot of requests to bring back the system. we had discontinued it due to the high labor hours it took to assemble it plus the vendor who made the vacuum motors went out of business.
we have had thoughts on bringing back the system in a simpler form using the stock GT hood scoop either from the 99/00 or 01/04. we would use the under hood plenum from the original system except not make mechanical. we would eliminate all the flappers and vacuum motors. not sure if all that was necessary anyways. we would have to come up with a piece of duct that would extend down from the RH corner of the plenum to the factory air cleaner, similar to the 2003/04 Mach1 that used the stock air cleaner with a hole cut into it from the shaker. this way it would eliminate the cost of an air cleaner as well. get some ideas if that would work to the internet crowd and let us know. we could probably do something like that pretty fast since we still have al the tooling from the original system. if it weren't for the labor intensity, we would have continued the system. we probably get 6-10 emails a week asking for the system.

thank you for your interest,

So what do you guys think? I'd put this in my sights as the next mod I get if they come back out. I hate how the hood is fake, but it looks to good to take off. This would solve everything :D

• Sponsors (?)

ponysarepretty said:
It doesn't have to be made out of CF, thats just unnecessarily cost, the same material as stock piping is more than enough.

YOu think it can be done for less than $100?

No I would doubt it could be done for less than that. I do know however that it will be substantially less than $800 + the cost of hood and paint.

if it works on my '00 hood i'd be happy to pick one up if the price was right. it's not a mod i would be chomping @ the bit for, but if it was a decent kit i would be game. i'd prefer the flapper and stuff tho but if they are out of biz that's life i guess :)

trailblazr81 said:
Exactly!! And this shouldnt be more than $100. You think about it,,should be cheaper.

But at the same time a chin spoiler is $70. I wouldn't mind paying for what its worth from a small company like this.

A user on this forum just pm'd me saying they had this kit for a few years now with absolutely no problems, including water. That's good to hear. And with the mechanical flaps, vacumme motor, and new airbox out of the picture, it should be quite a bit cheaper. He said he thinks it was around $400 for all that, so I would maybe guess half that or so?