Interesting Engine Swap (need help)

BlackenedSVT

Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Unfrotunately, I wiped out the 2004 SVT Cobra hydroplaning at 50mph in the rain 2 weeks ago coming home from work and its totalled. (sorry no you can't buy any parts from me :p I get asked that a lot lately)I'll be buying the car back and saving all the parts to use on another project mustang that I plan on turning into a street/drag strip car.

Now, I'm thinking about getting a used 2005+ Mustang GT and putting my 04 SVT Cobra Engine and T-56 transmission in that style GT...

does anyone on here know if its possible and what would be needed to do the swap?

04 Cobra Engine, 04 Cobra wiring harness, T-56 trans, 04 cobra engine computer and a custom driveshaft is the obvious so far.

What else would need to be changed over? Would the abs or anything else be affected by this swap?

• Sponsors (?)

Try posting in the S197 forums. I would imagine the swap itself is the easy part, but making the computer play nice with the 4V engine is where you'll run into some issues. I don't know if there's any difference between the 3V and 4V (GT500) EEC other than a simple flash.

Unfrotunately, I wiped out the 2004 SVT Cobra hydroplaning at 50mph in the rain 2 weeks ago coming home from work and its totalled. (sorry no you can't buy any parts from me :p I get asked that a lot lately)I'll be buying the car back and saving all the parts to use on another project mustang that I plan on turning into a street/drag strip car.

Now, I'm thinking about getting a used 2005+ Mustang GT and putting my 04 SVT Cobra Engine and T-56 transmission in that style GT...

does anyone on here know if its possible and what would be needed to do the swap?

04 Cobra Engine, 04 Cobra wiring harness, T-56 trans, 04 cobra engine computer and a custom driveshaft is the obvious so far.

What else would need to be changed over? Would the abs or anything else be affected by this swap?

Oh man sorry to hear about that :( What tires were you running? Bald?

I would just buy an 99-04 V6 for dirt cheap and throw all of that in there if your set on swapping....05+s are totally different cars. Your going to have all sorts of issues. I doubt your ECU will mate with the 05+ wiring...so you will probably need to use the 05 wiring and either splice it to the cobras wiring or just make it work.
Would be a pain.

Personally I would let insurance total it and just get another cobra...and then just drive slower in the rain :) :shrug:

+1 if your set on doing it it should be a whole lot easier to do it in a 96-04 car. v6 would even work if you wanted to make it a bit of a sleeper.

you've got to take into consideration that all of the electricals in the 05+ would probably have to be either gutted and swapped out or spliced into and it would be a whole boat load of work. the gauge cluster, windows, stereo, headlights, turn signals...

also how well would the t56 fit into the trans tunnel on the 05+? will the shifter line up with the current hole? unless the 05+ has a blown motor i wouldn't do it. i dont see the point in yanking a perfectly good 3v out :notnice:

but i do encourage you to it in a 96-04!

You would run into many issues with trying to get the computers to communicate and not throw codes I would think. Most control modules these days require matching vin information in all for proper communication. If you do try to do this I would suggest talking it over with a Ford specific Diagnostic tech to find if it is even possible from a communication standpoint first, I personally have not had that much experience yet with 05 up comm system. At least says good things for the newer Mustangs by not being in Independent shops much yet. Good luck with it though. It would be neat thing to see happen. Also check to be sure your state allows that kind of swap to. Some states do not allow from an emission related stand point.

Don't forget the 05's throttle is a "drive by wire".... puter controlled. That is a HUGE hurdle to get over. I don't see this as a feasable swap. I personally think you will be better off with the same basic year. The trans/shifter position is off between the year as well and I doubt your going to be able to make that work w/o hacking up the inside of the car. Now if your wanting to go drag car only, you can obviously strip the car, cut what ever new holes are needed and mod a throttle cable to work with the 05+. That being said, it seems you'll have a TON of money in something that will likely be ugly.

Not to mention the 05 car are still fairly expensive. Don't forget about either eliminating or deleteing pats.