Interesting Smoking Issue

Jmunk

Sep 30, 2007
I have a 89 GT with a stock 5.0 with a interesting smoking issue. I noticed the smoking one day when I saw the temp guage about halfway up on the factory guage. I know that the factory guage is not accurate, so I'm not sure how warm it actually got. The stock fan clutch was shot so I put a Taurus fan in to fix that problem. The car did not get warm enough to pop a headgasket, so it must not have gotten too hot. Ever since that day when the car will puff out a little light blue smoke only after it sits in traffic for a few minutes after being driven for 30min or so. If you start the car and its cold and you can run it upto the redline and it won't puff out anything until after about 30min of driving.

I put a new PCV in, with no change. I have a new PCV screen to put in when I get a chance soon. I am saving up to pull the motor prob in a year, seeing if I can do anything quick and easy for now. FYI motor has about 160k miles on it. Car was babied most of it's life, still has the original clutch in it !

• Sponsors (?)

It doesnt use any coolant, uses a little oil but nothing too excessive. I have 5-30W in it now, was debating changing it to 10-30W to see if it would slow down the consumption a little.

I want to get a top end kit, but I cant see the point in putting a new top end on a 160k bottom end. Saving up some extra cash for a shortblock in the end. Starting to feel like this is going to be a moneypit project.