Interesting Ticket

crzyhrse99

Mar 30, 2005
Kansas
My wife gets a ticket the other day for not yeilding/slowing down for emergency vehicles on her way to the airport about 100 or so miles west from where we live. This was the situation, 2 troopers sitting in the median/grass parked next to each on the interstate bs'in, and they pull her over for not yielding to them and moving over to the slow lane.

I can understand if they had somone pulled over onto the shoulder and she didnt yield or any other emergency vehicle providing a service, but come on they were in the freekin grass:mad: . I want her to fight it but its at leat an hour and half away and probably a day of work she will miss......is it worth it to fight, or just pay up and move on.

• Sponsors (?)

My wife gets a ticket the other day for not yeilding/slowing down for emergency vehicles on her way to the airport about 100 or so miles west from where we live. This was the situation, 2 troopers sitting in the median/grass parked next to each on the interstate bs'in, and they pull her over for not yielding to them and moving over to the slow lane.

I can understand if they had somone pulled over onto the shoulder and she didnt yield or any other emergency vehicle providing a service, but come on they were in the freekin grass:mad: . I want her to fight it but its at leat an hour and half away and probably a day of work she will miss......is it worth it to fight, or just pay up and move on.

too many cops abuse they're power these days..they need to be put in their place.

That's :bs: , did they have their sirens/lights on? if not then she can tell the judge, she had no way to know if they were monitoring traffic, or on the way to an emergency call.

how do you know they were just bsing???
and you don't think a cruiser has never been hit that was parked in the median??

Not sure e what state you are in but most have the law requiring one to change lanes or slow down for ALL stopped emergency vehicles.

Also I am sure they had a reason for it. Contrary to popular belief people don't just get pulled over for no reason. How fast was she going??

That's , did they have their sirens/lights on? if not then she can tell the judge, she had no way to know if they were monitoring traffic, or on the way to an emergency call.
Lights and sirens have nothing to do with being on a call. Not all calls warrant lights and sirens. Who is to say they were monitoring traffic? Do you know why they were there or the reason for being in the median????
Most states laws state ALL stopped emergency vehicle states nothing about lights and sirens. If they were waiting on someone for instance an Attempt to Locate was put out in that area of the highyway they certainly aren't going to be sitting there with the lights and sirens on to give the person they are looking for a better idea that they are there.

how do you know they were just bsing???
and you don't think a cruiser has never been hit that was parked in the median??

Not sure e what state you are in but most have the law requiring one to change lanes or slow down for ALL stopped emergency vehicles.

Also I am sure they had a reason for it. Contrary to popular belief people don't just get pulled over for no reason. How fast was she going??

Lights and sirens have nothing to do with being on a call. Not all calls warrant lights and sirens. Who is to say they were monitoring traffic? Do you know why they were there or the reason for being in the median????
Most states laws state ALL stopped emergency vehicle states nothing about lights and sirens. If they were waiting on someone for instance an Attempt to Locate was put out in that area of the highyway they certainly aren't going to be sitting there with the lights and sirens on to give the person they are looking for a better idea that they are there.

She wasnt speeding. No lights, just parked beside each other facing both sides of the highway, I guess they were monitoring traffic but any way you want to swing it I still think its a BS ticket. Not saying that the "yielding for emergency vehicles" law that there is nothing wrong with that, its a safety law and should be enforced but in this case it was uncalled for, my .02

Oh and this was outside Nashville,TN with moderate traffic and she told the officer she couldnt move over because she couldnt get in at the time. He replied you had plenty of time to move over.

She wasnt speeding. No lights, just parked beside each other facing both sides of the highway, I guess they were monitoring traffic but any way you want to swing it I still think its a BS ticket. Not saying that the "yielding for emergency vehicles" law that there is nothing wrong with that, its a safety law and should be enforced but in this case it was uncalled for, my .02

Oh and this was outside Nashville,TN with moderate traffic and she told the officer she couldnt move over because she couldnt get in at the time. He replied you had plenty of time to move over.

My point is tickets come from totality of the circumstances. You and I don't fully know what was going on there, but she was given a ticket for a reason(s). If you feel the ticket is unjust then court is the place to decide it.
It's the way the system is setup. There could be an unknown variable in there to your wife (therefore you wouldn't know about it either).

I just get frustrated whenever someone throws BS flags at tickets especially when they weren't there.
People for some reason think police have nothing better to do than make up tickets. We don't get paid by the ticket, we don't have quotas, there are plenty of people actually doing things wrong that we have no need to write a BS ticket, for the cost of losing our jobs amongst other reasons.

Take it at the letter your wife couldn't get over, that is fine and that is going to happen but did she slow down?? Doesn't matter if she was going 65 in a 65 one is still supposed to yield (slow down) until one is passed a stopped emergency vehicle (lights on or not).
The laws are there to protect officers and individuals.

My point is tickets come from totality of the circumstances. You and I don't fully know what was going on there, but she was given a ticket for a reason(s). If you feel the ticket is unjust then court is the place to decide it.
It's the way the system is setup. There could be an unknown variable in there to your wife (therefore you wouldn't know about it either).

I just get frustrated whenever someone throws BS flags at tickets especially when they weren't there.
People for some reason think police have nothing better to do than make up tickets. We don't get paid by the ticket, we don't have quotas, there are plenty of people actually doing things wrong that we have no need to write a BS ticket, for the cost of losing our jobs amongst other reasons.

Take it at the letter your wife couldn't get over, that is fine and that is going to happen but did she slow down?? Doesn't matter if she was going 65 in a 65 one is still supposed to yield (slow down) until one is passed a stopped emergency vehicle (lights on or not).
The laws are there to protect officers and individuals.

what about when you guys are hiding? are we supposed to get over then even though we cant see you? ive never seen anyone get out of the hammer lane for a cop in the median. just the shoulder.

Man i had the same thing did to me, Cops really get on my nerves sometimes. I am glad they are here to protect though

+1 Yea in no way am I trying to hate on anyone that wears the uniform and they do have my respect for doing what they do, I guess I just dont understand this particular incident.....just doesnt make sense to me.

Probably makes sense to request a hearing and have her state the facts. One time I got caught in an intersection and could not take the left turn. Light went to yellow then red and since no one could get by me I proceded very slowly through the red in view of a MA Trooper who saw the whole thing. He gave me a ticket, and said I could fight it. Appeared before a Magistrate, and politely told my side of the story and the ticket was dismissed, and the Trooper was told that he should not have issued the ticket.

what about when you guys are hiding? are we supposed to get over then even though we cant see you? ive never seen anyone get out of the hammer lane for a cop in the median. just the shoulder.

That's a good question. I see LEOs hiding under overpasses on the shoulder all the time. Most often you don't see them until you're pretty close.

I've always heard that you only need to slow down if the lights are on. I'd slow down if they were on the shoulder, not hiding. I definitely wouldn't slow down if they were in the median on the grass though. :shrug:

Riley

No need to get upset here, I am just saying what his wife can try to explain at court to the judge that no lights or sirens were on..., Anytime I see a police vehicle, Fire truck, or ambulance, with lights/sirens on I always move out there way quickly as possible, never know who they can be going to go help, could be a friend or family member, but at the same time, I am not trying to get hit by a another person who is not paying attention.

According to http://www.wsmv.com/news/14134306/detail.html

"Under [Tennessee] state law, drivers are required to move over when they see a police car or other vehicle that is on the shoulder of the road with its lights flashing"

From http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/moveover.htm
T.C.A. 55-8-132. Operation of vehicles and streetcars on approach of authorized emergency vehicles.

(a) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle making use of audible and visual signals meeting the requirements of the applicable laws of this state, or of a police vehicle properly and lawfully making use of an audible signal only:

(1) The driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway clear of any intersection, and shall stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer; and

(2) Upon the approach of an authorized emergency vehicle, as above stated, the operator of every streetcar shall immediately stop such car clear of any intersection and keep it in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer.

(b) Upon approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle, when such vehicle is giving a signal by use of flashing lights, a person who drives an approaching vehicle shall:

(1) Proceeding with due caution, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to that of the authorized emergency vehicle, if possible with due regard to safety and traffic conditions, if on a highway having at least four (4) lanes with not less than two (2) lanes proceeding in the same direction as the approaching vehicle; or

(2) Proceeding with due caution, reduce the speed of the vehicle, maintaining a safe speed for road conditions, if changing lanes would be impossible or unsafe.

So, unless they had their lights flashing (and or sirens on) I don't think his wife should have gotten a ticket.

Take it to court and get it thrown out; at the very least it is worth a shot. It is a "ticky tacky" ticket if I may say so myself. Sounds as if the cops were sitting in the median bored and needed something to do. If I see a cop in the median with no lights on, I am under the assumption that they are clocking people. Plain and simple, their lights should have been on. This borders on extortion...:bs:

No need to get upset here, I am just saying what his wife can try to explain at court to the judge that no lights or sirens were on..., Anytime I see a police vehicle, Fire truck, or ambulance, with lights/sirens on I always move out there way quickly as possible, never know who they can be going to go help, could be a friend or family member, but at the same time, I am not trying to get hit by a another person who is not paying attention.

According to http://www.wsmv.com/news/14134306/detail.html

"Under [Tennessee] state law, drivers are required to move over when they see a police car or other vehicle that is on the shoulder of the road with its lights flashing"

So, unless they had their lights flashing (and or sirens on) I don't think his wife should have gotten a ticket.

I agree with going to court aswell. We here, nor him, or his wife, fully know why the officer chose to do what he did.
I was just throwing out points as to why it could have happened. It happens all the time. I make stops on people if they feel the need to argue that is fine and they have the legal right to do it which is why one is given a court date. It can be hard to explain fully what is going on there at the side of the road.
With the law that you have posted, I am not from Tenn. So i can't speak fully for their laws but they might also have a seperate law for limited access highways. For some viloations laws are different for limited access than they are for non limited access again I can't speak specifics for Tenn.