Interior Painting

GT40Pony

Apr 13, 2014
I don't know if this is the right section but I am wanting to convert the interior of my Mustang to black. I have painted interior parts before but over a short time the flake and chip. Could anybody give me tips on how to paint the plastics without this happening??
Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

i painted a bunch of stuff.....basically,using vinyl paint of coarse,if you scuff and clean it really good with what ever the brand cleaner your using recommends?...i used leather prep and a plastic cleaner i have at work combined to be sure,you will be ok....but i had issues before also,the key is using a interior flat clear after you paint....then it wont scratch and peel....i did mine years ago and after i did it that way,still perfect....i just painted my steering wheel also and posted pics on here a couple days ago and its golden....

IMG_20140413_193510.jpg
Mine was done with duplicolor interior paint. Washed with dish soap, Prep spray (and wipe it off) a few times, a couple coats of adhesion promoter, and 2 or 3 coats of the paint.

Depending on the color/year of your dash, the prep spray WILL start discoloring your dash. Ford painted some of the dashes. I'm really happy about it, looks amazing and durability seems above par. It will scratch off in some places but most of the time my fingernail can't peel it off or scratch it.

I don't like all red interiors and I don't like the dark and washed out red that came stock in mustangs. I like bright red with black highlights. This duplicolor paint is amazing, exactly what I wanted.

Last edited:
When i put black interior in my car, i used a mix of painted, and OEM black parts. While initially it looked good, i found myself to hate the painted parts and eventually swapped them out for OEM parts.

They just didn't wear well, and in bright sunlight didn't look good at all. It looked fantastic in photos, but in person, i wasn't a fan.

When i put black interior in my car, i used a mix of painted, and OEM black parts. While initially it looked good, i found myself to hate the painted parts and eventually swapped them out for OEM parts.

They just didn't wear well, and in bright sunlight didn't look good at all. It looked fantastic in photos, but in person, i wasn't a fan.

What did you use? I have found that the semi-gloss and the satin finishes to hold up very well. I've not tried the glossy because well... it's glossy.

On a nice warm day, several very thin coats allows the dye to penetrate with next day coatings to fill in all the little crevasses etc.