Interior!

I've been through a couple threads and saw some auto detailing websites, and WOW, there's a lot of products out there. I've seen a lot of SN-95 Mustangs, especially those with black interiors, that just look horrible inside. This is mostly because the owner has slathered the dash, console, door panels and other plastic surfaces with Armor All or a similar product. It makes it look shiny and cheap, IMO. It makes me glad my car has a charcoal interior instead(Bullitt). What do you guys use on the dash surfaces, console, door panels, etc to stay away from that look but still get the desired protection from the sun? I've used foam cleaners as well as those wipes that are soaked in some sort of all-purpose cleaner. You know, it smells like Windex or something similar. Those cleaners are effective, but I feel like they are a bit harsh and are drying out the surfaces. But then most conditioners/protectants leave a greasy or oily feel. Tell me, where's the happy medium? Any input on the products you guys like best would be fantastic.

• Sponsors (?)

I use Pro detailing products, and they make trim shine in an aerosol can that really works well. First I use degreaser to get all the dirt and old trim shine off of the surface, then spray the trim shine on. Then I wipe off the excess and it gives a great satin finish; not overly glossy or tacky looking.

I have used the new MG cockpit shine that is in the NXT product line and it looks great for black interior without being really oily..but my door pannels and console and such have a faded white look to them from the owner before me I guess not taking care of them..I would lvoe to find somehting that would help to hide or get rid of this look as the NXT still leaves some white look here and there..

9646gt said:
I have used the new MG cockpit shine that is in the NXT product line and it looks great for black interior without being really oily..but my door pannels and console and such have a faded white look to them from the owner before me I guess not taking care of them..I would lvoe to find somehting that would help to hide or get rid of this look as the NXT still leaves some white look here and there..
same stuff I use on my interior leaves it a nice semi gloss black, but doesnt look overly done.
As for the white parts try some Poorboys trim restorer, took my pops black plastic crap on the front bumper of his 2000 f150 that was white back to a nice black finish.

Marks5.0! said:
same stuff I use on my interior leaves it a nice semi gloss black, but doesnt look overly done.
As for the white parts try some Poorboys trim restorer, took my pops black plastic crap on the front bumper of his 2000 f150 that was white back to a nice black finish.

How much does it usually cost and how long do the results tend to last? It would be great for the plastic cowl where my wipers are and my mirrors..even though I have heardthose can be buffed back to health?

I'd recommend using black vinyl dye on plastic parts. Wipe them down with alcohol and spray. That simple. The stuff soaks into plastic and even if it runs/drips, it'll soak in in a day or two. It's also cool that it leaves the factory texture and such. VHT makes a good one. Order it from Jegs. I was looking for some at Pep Boys, but now they only carry a vinyl "coating" that amounts to a flexible paint that drips/runs/cracks/peels and generally looks like ass. Go for the dye.

The best interior protectant I've found is Meguiar's Natural Shine... it gives a lower gloss satin finish that looks great... makes interior pieces look clean and new but not overly shiny. It smells great too. A lot of people seem to like 303, altough I've heard it smells bad... I'll probably buy some to use on exterior plastics, and keep the Natural Sine for the interior.

For cleaning, I usually use Orange Blast mixed 1 part to 4 parts water in a spary bottle, with an assortment of soft scrub brushes, toothbrushes and microfiber cloths. It's strong enough to clean dirty surfaces but is fairly gentle and isn't drying.

I usually give my interior a quick wipedown 1-2 times a week with a clean, dry microfiber... just doing that keeps it looking new from day to day...

I use ArmorAll wipes in my interior and they dont leave it wet/shiney looking. I think you are thinking of ArmorAll interior spray, which definitely leaves an ugly shiney look.

I love my ArmorAll wipes, they really work well. But if theres something better out there..

9646gt said:
How much does it usually cost and how long do the results tend to last? It would be great for the plastic cowl where my wipers are and my mirrors..even though I have heardthose can be buffed back to health?

When I bought my 00, the mirrors & cowl were almost a brownish dull color. I got some Meg's Gold Class Black Trim Detailer and a tooth brush-worked AWESOME. And it also removed the wax that someone had gotten on the edges. I now use it on all my black trim-on the taillight housings, the black rad supposrt cover, etc-it's all a glossy black now (not like an oily shine, just like "healthy" black plastic)