Intermitten noise after rebuild

stevesLX

Nov 12, 2006
cincinnati
As if I dont already have one issue with finding wheels that will fit. I finally got my motor back together and started it and I have a noise that comes and goes consistently every few seconds. The noise could be compared to what a heat sheid would sound like as it clatters. The noise is in short bursts at a time. It is comeing from up on the drivers side of the motor. I stuck a stethescope on the valve cover and it seems to be more pronounced in that general area. I dont know what it could possibly be. I preloaded my lifters. I used a method from crane cams. I dropped all my rods in and turned the crank until both rods were at their lowest point and then I put the rockers on for that paticular cylinder and finger tightened them and then I torqued them down to 20ft LBS. Every single one only took me 3/4 of a turn. Crane cams told me that unless I need 1 full turn or more it will not be necessary to shim the rockers. So as far as I know that is all good. The only other thing I can think of is the lifter girdle. I dont know why it would be rattling in there I tightened it down. I dont have my exhaust hooked up yet I just have the headers on. I checked those and theres nothing there resting against thats rattling. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas. I really dont want to have to take this thing apart again but I dont want to damage anything either.:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)