iron gt40 heads

1quik69

Apr 2, 2005
I picked up a complete explorer engine today and was wondering if the heads on this engine are any better than the stock heads on my 95 gt. From what I have read, these are gt40 heads. For what I paid for the engine, I couldn't even buy a new intake system. What size are the valves etc compared to the stock heads? Any suggestions on mods to these heads, I really don't want to drop the bucks for afr's. I am just looking to pickup the overall performance on the car.

• Sponsors (?)

Depending on what year Explorer, they are probly GT-40P heads. Yes they are better then the stock E7 heads. Valve sizes should be 1.84 intake & 1.48 exhaust, someone will correct me if I'm incorrect on the valve sizes. Will need to make sure your headers will clear the relocated spark plugs of the P heads, some don't.

Been so long I don't remember but

You can look for 2 or 3 bars on the end of the head to find out.

Just do a search on this forum for the details as it has been talked about several times.

Grady

The heads have 3 bars on the end of them. The lower intake manifold has the suffix "BA" on it. The wrecking yard said it was a 97 engine and he showed me their computer and they did not even show a 5.0 for 95 & 96. I told him that they did not have correct info on their program. Anyway, the lower intake should be the one I need and as i said, the heads have 3 bars on them. I am running jba headers on the car, and per them they should work allright with the gt40 head. Any suggestions, besides clean them up, do a valve job and get the right springs for the cam I want to use?

94CobraPace said:
Depending on what year Explorer, they are probly GT-40P heads. Yes they are better then the stock E7 heads. Valve sizes should be 1.84 intake & 1.48 exhaust, someone will correct me if I'm incorrect on the valve sizes. Will need to make sure your headers will clear the relocated spark plugs of the P heads, some don't.

Your very close:GT40P 1.84" intake,1.46" exhaust valve...the GT40P uses the same size exhaust valve size as the E7.
The GT40 uses a 1.84" intake and 1.54" exhaust.

Why didn`t Ford just use the 1.54" exhaust valve in the GT40P head?:shrug: ,weird.