Irritating Problem with Idle

nweatherby

Apr 3, 2007
The car I have is a 1999 Mustang 3.8L. Okay I have had this problem since 30000 miles and the car now has about 115000 miles and nobody can fix it so far. I have noticed that when I drive my car sometimes at idle at a stop light it wants to jump 200-500rpms. This is annoying but not my major concern. The major concern comes from shwne I drive it mostly on the freeway then park it for 15-20 Minutes and come back out and start it up the engine almost wants to stall. This is especially bad when reversing. I also get the rpm surge when I am stuck in traffic for a long time say a wreck on the interstate. I am contemplating buying an ELM5 scanner to help me figure it out. Anyway the things I have done so far is replaced plugs, PCV Valve. Cleaned out throttle body and Idle Air Control. Cleaned MAF Wire very carefully.Checked Throttle Position Setting voltage which was 1.0 a little high. Any ideas on what could cause this and whether I should get the scanner. Thanks all

• Sponsors (?)

I see you cleaned the IAC but it still could be sticking and that will cause it to run like yours. My nephew was telling me a couple days ago that Fords had a problem with them going bad. They don't cost too much so you may want to try one.

Same kino problem

I have a 2000 v6 and it has a low idle sometime when stopped. I also burn through coolant. I've heard somewhere that the coolant helps with the idle, is this true? Also is there anything that would cause the low coolant besides a head gasket, I don't feel like going through the work to find thats not the problem. There are no coolant puddles on the ground:shrug: .

I have a 2000 v6 and it has a low idle sometime when stopped. I also burn through coolant. I've heard somewhere that the coolant helps with the idle, is this true? Also is there anything that would cause the low coolant besides a head gasket, I don't feel like going through the work to find thats not the problem. There are no coolant puddles on the ground:shrug: .

If you got a head gasket issue, the coolant will most likely come out of your exhaust as white smoke.

the coolant does run through a port in the throttle body, it is to keep the
t.b. from freezing on extremely cold days.. has nothing to do with the way the car
runs..
if your not seeing coolant on the ground..it is either being burnt through the exhaust or filling up the heater core box and getting the passenger floor wet..
otherwise it would be coming out of the vent hole in the heater box which coolant
would still hit the ground..
most likely a head gasket.. you dont have milky looking engine oil do you ??
if not it means its running through the exhaust port (headgasket)..
it could only be one other thing intake manifold gaskets...
does the same theory as a head gasket..it will leak right down through to the cylinder..
these engines are known for head gasket problems up until 2001 when they changed the design/ material of the head gasket..
you need to have a head gasket test done at a shop..they use a tool with liquid
which detects hydrocarbons through the coolant. its cheap and easy to have done.. a motor isnt cheap or easy...so get it done..

X2 for IAC valve.....sounds very much like an IAC valve, do you have a KandN filter or CAI of some kind.

these mustangs of ours should come with a bag of IAC replacements, cause they seem to get dirty quite a bit and need replacing.

and if the carb cleaner didn't fix it, get a brand new replacement one.