IRS in Foxbody - Anyone here do it ?

I did a search on this and got nothing. I'm thinking seriously about taking the plunge and I was curious to hear from those who have swapped an IRS into their Foxbody. What were the most labor intensive things about it, what were the hardest to find parts, etc. and would you do it again. What about your wheels (sizes and styles, offsets). I don't ever plan to use this car with slicks and I'm mostly interested in a smoother everyday ride with updated brakes and 5 lugs. I've been in some pretty fast Terminators that launched hard and I'm not scared of loosing traction or wheel hopping for my purposes, just curious about the everday manners and ride, fender clearance, ride heigth and so forth. Thx

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the replies. I've seen the websites and I know pretty much what's involved. My rear suspension is pretty much stock and it's very worn out. The pinion seal is leaking and the gears need to be replaced, and besides I'm going to 5 lug. So when I add up all the things I need, it comes to around $900, very close to what a used IRS from an '03 Cobra would cost. So I'm thinking if the obstacles I mentioned can be overcome it's the perfect solution. I'm certainly not interested in stirring the straight axle vrs IRS debate, I was just hoping to hear from fellow members how the IRS swap into their Fox went. Thanks again for all who reply !

Thanks 93Saleen, that's the kind of info I was looking for. What about your wheel sizes etc., what worked for you ? What about the ride height, how did that come out ? Did you use the Cobra IRS springs ? I've heard coil-overs or 4 cyl. springs would settle the rear height down a bit.

Wheels, right now i'm running 97 Cobras, they look nice with the stance being a little wider. Im using the stock 03 Cobra springs with 1/4 of a coil cut off but im going to take them out and cut another 1/4 until i can buy the coil-over kit. I would really suggest using the shocks for the IRS too any other ones are way to soft.

Erick.

It will help two important areas of the cars dynamics. It will ride much better and the car will be more balenced, less nose heavy.
Sure a SRA can be made to handle as good on a track but an IRS is much better on bump curves and keeps the ass much more planted.

Good luck with the swap, I would love to see progress pics. :nice:

The ONLY wheels that will look good on a fox body with IRS are 17X9 with a +45mm offset. They will be right out to the edge of the quarters. You will need to roll the lips of the quarters in also.

See...if you use your current 17X8 Cobra wheels (which have a +30mm offset) they will look silly. They will sit out at the quarter edge just like the other wheels I mentioned, but because the offset is only 30mm, there is NO meat under the car. By going with the 17X9 +45mm offset wheel, you get more meat under the car. Why?....because the extra inch in width is under the car AND you get the additional 15mm under the car also.

Don't even think about 17X10.5's because they will stick out past the fenders and it will look stupid.

I am shocked his 17X9 wheels with the +24mm offset don't stick out more than they do. He said he'd have to rol the fenders when he lowers it, but still...they are out too far then, there is no meat "tucked" under the car. Definatley go with a +45mm 17X9 wheel with this swap. Trust me.

In the first pics of the red coupe on the first page, the rear brake rotors are not on the car. This is why the wheels are tucked in the fenders.

Bullitt5253 on corral HAD some really good pics of 17 X 8 wheel fitment (no longer available). Looked like they just barely tucked under the fenders.

Hmm...yeah if he didn't have rotors on there then those wheels are inward 1/4". I did the same thing mocking up my yellow notch. Oh these will fit....uh...wait a minute dummy....I don't have the rotors on...haha

Aaaaaah, great responses one and all ! The IRS I was watching on Ebay went a lot higher than I was wanting to pay, so I let it go this time. I'm about 90% sure I will do this one day. Until then I'll keep gathering information and parts so when the day comes I'll be ready ! Thanks guys !:nice:

Aaaaaah, great responses one and all ! The IRS I was watching on Ebay went a lot higher than I was wanting to pay, so I let it go this time. I'm about 90% sure I will do this one day. Until then I'll keep gathering information and parts so when the day comes I'll be ready ! Thanks guys !:nice:
IDK what your budget is but usually they are $750-$1200 on here, Corral and SVTP. There are a few ads on SVTP for guys offering a straight up trade for a SRA thats built (ie: Gearsand better axles) and they will give their 03/04 IRS.

You can even get a 99/01 IRS for a bit cheaper. The half shafts are weaker and they dont have the rear brace but the braces are available at SuperCoupePerformance for about $100 and the half shafts will handle 600ish RWHP if you dont run slicks. :shrug:

"IDK what your budget is but usually they are $750-$1200 on here, Corral and SVTP. There are a few ads on SVTP for guys offering a straight up trade for a SRA thats built (ie: Gearsand better axles) and they will give their 03/04 IRS"

Yeah, this one was from an '03 Cobra and it went for close to $1400, but it did have a Flow Master cat-back that went with it. A reasonable price I guess, but I believe I can do a little better. I'll probably hold out for the '03-04 Cobra version, I figure if it can handle the horsepower of a Terminator it must be a pretty sturdy set up ! :nice: