Is 70k Miles Too Much For an '01 Auto GT?

• Sponsors (?)

SVTStang03 said:
I am looking for a new car.... I found a very cheap 2001 GT but it has 70 something thousand miles on it, is this too much? Is there anything I have to worry about?

Thanks!

Depends on your perspective. Personally, I would be embarassed if I had put those miles on. If you really need to put 25,000 miles per year on a car, get an old Caprice or something. Don't drive a 2001 Mustang GT into the ground like that.

On the other hand, I think that the 4.6L motor will typically be OK at 70,000 miles. Obviously you will need to pay close attention to the maintenance records, get the car checked out, etc., but it would not surprise me if you were able to get another 50,000 miles out of the car before it really needed an engine overhaul.

Personally, when I look at a car, the things that turn me off are the little things that seem insignificant, but will probably never get fixed. For example, cracked dashboards, expensive accessories that don't work, dingy upholstery, otherwise decent original paint with door dings or scratches, etc.

If the car is all original, and everything works, my advice is thus to use the 70,000 miles as a bargaining point, but within your own head to pay little attention to it.

www.kbb.com , compare values on that website and if you think they are worth the same then go for it , consider the mileage and condition on both , my only concern with mustangs in the past is in the automatics taking a beating from misuse , drive it for an hour to get the tranny good and hot and make sure it has no fading performance after a good hour of driving .

SVTStang03 said:
It's really not a bad car, the interior is perfect, there is no way you can tell it has 70k miles on it...

Again, that is what I think is important.

Edmunds.com, among others, gives prices adjusted for mileage. My '01 GT has less than 19,000 miles, and according to Edmunds that's worth about $1000 compared to typical mileage.

I would probably try and get this car (maybe working the price down if I could and depending on what Edmunds says). I would be more concerned about the fact that it has an automatic transmission than anything else. In my experience, the automatic slows these cars down, and is not a performance-oriented unit.

SVTStang03 said:
I already have a shift kit, 4.10's, and diablo sport chip ready to go. I think it would be up to par with the 5-speeds with that stuff installed...no?

Yes.
70k on a engine like that if well take care of if perfectly ok. Have a good look at the tranny. Check for that legendary shudder between 3 and 4th gear at around 50mph. There s also a TSB for a clunk noise on downshifting drom 2 to first gear at low speed. Have a very good road test.

SVTStang03 said:
I already have a shift kit, 4.10's, and diablo sport chip ready to go. I think it would be up to par with the 5-speeds with that stuff installed...no?

Probably so, and the car will be much more consistent and easy to drive than a 5-speed. On the other hand, a really good driver can get some surprising times out of the 5-speed version. I would say those mods are worth about 0.3 - 0.4 seconds in the quarter, and will make your car faster than a stock 5-speed with an average driver.

speed545 said:
Yes.
70k on a engine like that if well take care of if perfectly ok. Have a good look at the tranny. Check for that legendary shudder between 3 and 4th gear at around 50mph. There s also a TSB for a clunk noise on downshifting drom 2 to first gear at low speed. Have a very good road test.

While you're at it, check for rear-end whine when coasting down in speed.

The downshift clunk is not a big issue IMHO. The motor mounts on these cars are made of Silly Putty... BFD.