is a 3" exahust too big?

coolblue65

Founding Member
Jul 26, 1999
Algonquin, IL
Like the subject says, is a 3" exahust pipe diameter too big? Reason I am asking is that currently I have an old rusted 2.25" system with no x or h-pipe, and flowmaster mufflers that I have been looking to upgrade, especially since I put in the DSS 347 which should be a solid 430 HP (+/-15).

The standard kit choices are 2.5" tubing, but there are a couple that you can get 3", I know the 3" will be louder but I am not sure how much (not too concerned about noise though) and I know the larger 3" will probably cost me a some low end ponies, but is it negligible? because I am assuming I will gain plenty up top by not having the 2.25" tubing, and traction down low is already an issue.

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Go with mandrel bent 2.5". I was contemplating the same change a while back on my 347 that is built very much like yours. I was swayed away from the 3" by people that have it saying that it is MUCH:notnice: louder than the 2.5" pipes.
Plus, your cam is the roller version of my XE274H so you will not be seeing the high side of 6500 rpm anyway.

FWIW: I have run 11's in my 347 with slightly lower compression than yours, smaller carb, same intake, flat XE274 to your roller, and same gears. All through 21/2" h pipe, flowmasters, and 2 1/2" tailpipes.

OK its unanimous, thanks everyone, makes that decision easy.

Vinyl66- did you run mid 11's on street tires or on some form of radial/drag tire? My goal is low 12s on street tires and 11s on drag tire. Hoping to make it to the track in the next few weeks.

GNN60GT500- do you have any sound clips of your Mustangs? I have not heard a Magnaflow system in person and would like to.

X pipe or what I built for my 89 V8 Ranger--- this is a single 5"Dia. x 12" Long exhaust pipe, welded in twin 2.5" pipes in both ends to create an "equalizer chamber, in effect the twin 2.5's go in, then exit back to twin 2.5's then into the turbo mufflers. Sounds smooth and has a nice mellow tone. Full tail pipes out the rear.

coolblue65:

I have never raced on my 245/45 street tires. And I really don't want to either. Too much feathering of the throttle and too much tire spin. I use 235/60/15 MT drag radials at the track. Even using those, I will still spin on the line if I hammer the throttle as opposed to quickly rolling onto the throttle.

Let us know how it performs at the track. Good luck and have fun!!

OK its unanimous, thanks everyone, makes that decision easy.

Vinyl66- did you run mid 11's on street tires or on some form of radial/drag tire? My goal is low 12s on street tires and 11s on drag tire. Hoping to make it to the track in the next few weeks.

GNN60GT500- do you have any sound clips of your Mustangs? I have not heard a Magnaflow system in person and would like to.

There is a sound clip of my 67 up on the website- but it wont be very accurate to you car as the motor in the 67 is a 428 with 11:1 compression-

http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/04american.asp

(you have to go towards the bottom to find it)

I do have the system on a car with a 351W and a 302- and the car with the 302 sounds incredible- definitely the best sounding out of all 3 IMO- which is what your car would sound like with the 347-

For that car- wait until the next NASCAR race, crank up the volume- and thats what it will sound like-