Is a fluidyne gonna cool me off????

Bryce'sStang

Founding Member
Apr 24, 2002
MN
I have finally got everything up and running again and it runs up to 230-240 range, way to hot for me. I already have a 180* thermostat, a stewart water pump. I knew it would run hotter with the blower but this is out of hand. How much will a fluidyne drop it??? Where is the cheapest place right now.. Anything else I can check? I have burped it and yes the fan works on high!!

• Sponsors (?)

well with the stock radiator and my stock gauge, my car woudl always run at the A or L in like 70* weather. now i replaced my radiator and run a 80/20 mix and my car hasnt gone over the O even in this 80* weather we had today. friggin awesome. i jsut got the cheapy summit universal fit radiator and it did the job great. if you want a no hassle drop in radiator, then go with the fluidyne :)

I bought a Fluidyne last year.. put in a 180 thermastat.. worked great for a year.. then the radiator started leaking... had to take out and get it welded. orking ok now.. but I am sure it will start leaking again next year.

Do not get Fluidyne, they work good until they start leaking. I am on my third radiator from Fluidyne because the first two started leaking one lasted 6 months and the next one for two weeks. They are under warrenty but this is getting ridiculous and they wont give you your money back.

Is a fluidyne gonna cool me off????

Sure, it'll cool you off but it'll also piss you off if it leaks. I suggest you go for the Mishimoto. It's 1/2 the price of the Fluidyne, very good quality, and much less leak-prone.
You said you have a blower. Do you have an intercooler? If not, that could be contributing to your hot running problems.

I thought about that but they leak pretty bad. I took it to a radiator shop and the owner was not impressed at all. On the first radiator he said that nearly 80% of the tubes were leaking. Besided for the amount of money they charge they should get it right the first time.

i've had my fluidyne now for close to three years now leak free. i'm surprised you've had three and they've all leaked. then again, i did put some sealant in there because my cometic gaskets seeped a bit. but even still, i had it for a good year before i put the cometics on.

I went with the Steeda radiator. I can't remember the company who makes it, but it's the same company that makes most of the Nascar radiators. RJC or something like that. Anyway, I've had it for 6 years without any trouble whatsoever. I have never heard anything bad about the Mishimoto radiator, but no one seems to have anything good to say about the Fluidyne.

Also, putting a lower temp thermostat won't help the car cool any better. That just changes the temperature at which the thermostat opens. By 200 degrees, both a 180 and a 190 are going to be full open. If you don't think you are getting enough water through your thermostat, you need to get a high flow thermostat, not a lower temp thermostat. However, I can tell you from personal experience, once you get a high flow thermostat, you will never have any real heat in the car. All the hot water goes straight to the radiator, and none of it makes it up into that heater hose.

Kurt

This has been a known issue b/c the mitso's install too tight and the car flex's and rips them apart. I bought a universal one at summit. NO ISSUES. Want to cool yer cars? No, its not the rad..it's the stock FAN settings on our cars. It lets the car get way too hot just so emissions is less.

Posted via Mobile DeviceI have a fluidyne with regular 50/50 mix, a 180* thermostat and running water wetter....it never goes past 195..when the fans come on, it goes to like 185...the temps under the hood are A LOT cooler..I made sure my radiator had enough "play" when I installed it, trying to avoid it being to tight

I find it kinda interesting we see all these things said about the results
they got from this rad and that rad and such

YET

Nobody seems to ask where peeps live :scratch:

Guys in Yankee Land usually don't get temps as hot as me here in Texas ;)

Then again ... You got guys like JT who live in the Dessert :eek:

I was on the verge of being too hot with self ported E7's and other
little bolt on stuff

I might add this was with the fan temps dialed back :(

At long stop lights or doing a drive through with my little woman
to pick up burgers and such ... the temp would slowly creep up :bang:

Get back on the road with air moving through the rad and the temp
came back down

When I went with the current sig stuff ..........
The little OEM cooling system just couldn't cut the mustard :nono:

I did a Fluidyne & Stewart high volume wp and all was good to go :nice:

Now ... this was with no change to the fan temps in the pcm which I
used from the previous combo

Grady

Here's my experience:
Grady how old was your radiator? :scratch: I did the change to fan temps WITH the original size RAD and no issues what-so-ever (NEW stock rad). [edit] Actually the temps never went above the "O." This was in 95* temps (max) and full H/C/I. Many times peeps old rads are pooping out and they change to a bigger one and think it was the size that made the difference. This was in 95* temps (max). There is no need for a high volume water pump from all research I have done but welcome to opinion. The big radiator I only added with the big block c.i. :)